Temporary Guest Service Agent - Statler Hotel
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Cornell requires that all faculty and staff members, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status, and provide proof of vaccination if vaccinated, immediately upon hire.The Statler Hotel:
Located in the heart of a vibrant Ivy League campus, the Statler Hotel is part of Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration and is the gateway to Cornell University for many visitors. Inspired by curiosity, the humble spirit of Upstate New York, and the scenic beauty of the Finger Lakes region, the Hotel has earned the dual distinction as the area's only AAA Four Diamond Award-winning property and the Ivy League's only "teaching hotel." With 153 rooms, the Statler Hotel is a full service property with a conference center, three restaurants and over 16,000 square feet of meeting and banquet facilities.
The School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University is the premier school for hospitality education in the world. As an integral part of the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, the school is leading the world in teaching and researching the business of hospitality-marketing, finance, real estate, operations, and more, all applied to the world's largest and most exciting industry. Top faculty, industry leaders, alumni, and students work together to generate new knowledge for the hospitality industry and form the premier network that shapes the industry every day.
Our Statler Family:
We are a team of hospitality professionals who proudly lead the premiere collegiate lifestyle hotel, welcoming the world to the cherished gathering place for those who love Cornell University. We challenge thinking, while connecting and cultivating people. Our actions are driven by a collective aspiration to build a culture of collaboration, celebration and excellence. Our mission is to provide uniquely crafted experiences through personalized connections that will inspire future leaders who will change the world of hospitality.
Your role as a Guest Service Agent:
As a member of the Statler Hotel's Front Office Team, you will participate in our mission to provide uniquely crafted experiences through personalized connections that will inspire future leader who will change the world of hospitality.
Among your duties, you will oversee tasks such as:
- Provide a warm welcome and attentive service to guests and visitors to the Statler Hotel
- Register and check in guests, assisting them with all requests and ensuring appropriate follow up. Monitor room status, assist guests with directions and area information, and maintain detailed guest profiles.
- Facilitate the check-out process, checking guests out of the hotel with a level of service that meets or exceeds guest expectations while accurately completing the payment process.
- Book reservations by phone and email while maintaining accurate guest charges, room statuses and detailed guest profiles while assisting with the implementation of our revenue management strategy.
- Collaborate with our Sales Department to configure group bookings and to ensure excellent service is provided to the meeting planners and conference participants.
- Assist us with our hotel's teaching mission by providing training and coaching to our student employees.
- Communicate accurately and clearly within the front office team and with other departments in the hotel; Assist others when help is needed, record and pass on pertinent information from your shift to the incoming staff.
- High school diploma or equivalent and some relative experience working in a hotel, preferably a hotel Front Office
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record
- Superior communication skills (verbal and written) and professional phone etiquette
- Professional demeanor, dignified composure, pride in personal appearance
- A passion for executing excellent customer service and creating memorable guest experiences
- A warm and enthusiastic personality, always committed to giving your best effort and going above and beyond for others while maintaining a positive attitude
- Possess basic computer skills, familiar with Microsoft Office Suite
- Physical requirements for the job, include:
- The ability to job or walk quickly to retrieve guest cars
- The ability to be on your feet standing for extended periods of time
- Able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends and holidays, that is subject to change on short notice
- Associate's degree
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of hotel management systems/revenue management/OTA's (online travel agencies)
- Some accounting experience
Cornell Employee Benefits:
This temporary position is not eligible for benefits.
Please include a cover letter and resume when applying.
University Job Title:Temporary Retail Assistant
Job Family:Temporary Auxiliary Services
Level:No Grade - Hourly
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Richard Kuhar
Number of Openings:1
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
To learn more about Cornell's non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see Career Navigator. The final rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience.
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position.
Unique applicable skills.
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at email@example.com.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.2021-10-06-07:00