Facilitator, Online Courses (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req7160
Department: Management Information Systems
Location: Main Campus
Address: 1130 E. Helen Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
The Department of Management Information Systems (MIS) is seeking applicants for part-time Facilitators to support faculty teaching online courses in MIS.
Selected applicant(s) will improve the student experience by assisting instructors with tasks such as providing responses to student inquiries, grading assignments, holding virtual office hours, and monitoring discussion boards. Additional duties will vary based on course and instructor.
A facilitator position is not a continuous position and assignments are not guaranteed for every session. This is an on-call position.
Facilitators support MIS courses across all Eller Online programs. Assignments will last the duration of the online course, which can range anywhere from 7 to 15 weeks. This position is limited to a maximum of 19 hours per week; however, assignments typically average between 10-15 hours per week for the duration of the course. Hours vary from week to week depending on the needs of the course. Facilitators hired for MIS courses may be asked to support other online Eller programs if qualified.
Course facilitators will need to provide their own computing equipment and have access to reliable, high-speed internet. No special software will be required; although the device(s) must be capable of using virtual conferencing software and accessing the D2L LMS and course textbooks and materials.
The MIS Department is one of six academic departments in the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona. The department has been ranked in the top 5 in the field of information systems for over 30 years.
We celebrate the diversity of our students and are working to increase diversity among our faculty and staff. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We believe diversity enriches us all, expands our understanding, and allows us to create better solutions.The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Faculty will each require different levels of support depending on the subject area and design of the course. Duties may include:
- Responding to student inquiries about course content and/or using the UA's LMS (D2L)
- Holding regularly scheduled office hours in a virtual environment
- Timely grading of assignments and entering grades into D2L
- Monitoring discussion boards and responding to student comments
- Other duties as assigned (including but not limited to: summarizing discussions among students for course modules, monitoring student participation and managing violations, checking links in course content before start of session, and reviewing team assignments for completion of sections)
- Master's Degree or higher in MIS or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience using an LMS
- Higher-level writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and proofreading experience
- Demonstrated experience of meticulous attention to detail
- Experience teaching and/or facilitating college level courses
The preferred qualifications listed below relate to specific courses:
- Python experience
- ER Modeling experience
- SQL experience
- Oracle experience
- Operations experience
- Experience with using, evaluating, or implementing enterprise systems
- Experience with information security risk and/or risk management methodologies
- Understanding of system development life cycle and agile methodologies
- Experience with business process modeling using Unified Modeling Language
- Exposure to ITIL framework
- Relevant industry certificate (i.e., CISSP, CISM, CRISC, etc.)
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 10-19
Job FTE: 0.025
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Instructional and Assessment Services
Benefits Eligible: No Benefits
Rate of Pay: $25.00
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Instructional Design & Support
Instruct & Assessment Services
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 3
Contact Information for Candidates
Human Resources Representative
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
- Applications must be submitted through talent.arizona.edu.
- Documents required to be submitted are a Resume and Cover Letter.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.