Outreach Instructional Assistant III (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req6938
Department: Steward Observatory
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The department of Steward Observatory seeks to fill multiple part time (25% fte) positions of an Outreach Instructional Assistant III.
These positions are responsible for organizing and leading all aspects of the Mount Lemmon SkyCenter's nightly, public star gazing programs. Utilizing the Observatory's .8-meter and .6-meter telescopes situated at the summit of Mount Lemmon, the program leader is responsible for facilitating the astronomical outreach program, and engaging guests in exploring natural phenomenon and the wonders of the night sky.
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Public presentation of astronomical topics and operation of observatory telescopes.
- Preparation of site and telescope before and after programs.
- Support other departmental outreach events.
- Create new material and curriculum for outreach presentations.
- Maintain relevant trainings and certifications; keep abreast of news in space sciences at the UA and elsewhere.
Additional duties may be assigned.Strong public presentation skills and ability to present to all ages.
- HS Diploma or GED and 5 years related experience with public outreach or astronomy.
- Ability to obtain UA High Occupancy Vehicle certification within 60 days of hire.
- Demonstrated experience operating observatory telescopes.
- Previous experience observing through a telescope and with the night sky.
- Demonstrated experience to safety protocols.
- Bilingual a plus.
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 10
Job FTE: .25
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Outreach and Community Engagement
Benefits Eligible: No Benefits
Rate of Pay: $15.00 - $17.00
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Outreach & Community Engage
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 6
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.