Police Dispatcher I (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req7273
Department: University Police Department
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The University of Arizona is seeking dynamic Police Radio Dispatchers for its nationally accredited Police Department. Dispatchers receive calls from university community concerning crimes and police emergencies; dispatches police units and broadcasts all information necessary to ensure safety of officers and public. Monitors fire alarms, panic alarms, and security alarms for university buildings.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Receives emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Prioritizes the calls; dispatches appropriate police unit to investigate.
- Relays pertinent information in a factual and concise manner; relays instructions or inquiries from remote units.
- Monitors security camera, fire and intrusion alarms and dispatches accordingly.
- Operates computer terminal to obtain vehicle and criminal record information
- Enters data from officer reports to criminal information system on computer.
- Types report logs of police activities during shift.
- Monitors teletype messages and relays important information to officers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in determining priorities and handling high-pressure situations.
- Skill in communicating clearly and concisely and relaying details accurately.
- Skill in handling high volume telephone.
- Skill in typing with high accuracy.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
Candidates must pass both a computerized and oral examination for consideration, followed by an in depth background investigation, to include passing a psychological examination and polygraph.
High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Protection and Safety
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Police & Security
Protection & Safety
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: No Documents
Special Instructions to Applicant
Once your application is received, instructions for accessing and completing the background will be emailed to you. It is strongly encouraged to complete and submit the UAPD background, along with the required electronic documents as soon as possible.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.