Trades Helper - Facilities Management & Services (Multiple Openings) (Phoenix)
Posting Number: req7255
Department: Phx Biomed Campus Fac & Plan
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: 550 E. Van Buren St., Phoenix, AZ 85004 USA
Please Note: Position has been updated to include multiple open positions as of 10/18/2021
The Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC) is a 30-acre, urban medical and bioscience campus with more than 1.7 million square-feet of biomedical-related research, academic, and clinical facilities with plans for more than 6 million square-feet at build out. It is the only site where you will find all 3 of Arizona's public universities in one location conducting and collaborating in research. Campus Facilities & Planning is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for learning, research and work through the highest quality facilities maintenance staff. This position's primary focus will be to provide the faculty, staff, students and visitors of the University with the best maintained and the safest buildings possible through staff dedication and teamwork.
Due to the nature of our educational environment, this position may occasionally work evenings and weekends to reduce noise or to support other facilities management activities during non-traditional business hours.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains all classroom and residential buildings, laboratories, libraries and all public spaces in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Maintains facility grounds and environment in a clean, attractive, orderly, safe, and healthy condition.
- Performs general preventative maintenance using a variety of equipment and handles tasks that are not complex enough to need the specialized training of a licensed tradesperson, such as a plumber or electrician.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Frequently lifts and carries up to 45 pounds. (i.e. 5-gallon water jug).
- Occasionally lifts and carries up to 80 pounds (i.e. bag of concrete).
- Pushes and/or pulls (appliances) using appliance dolly up to 200 pounds.
- Moves objects from one floor to another.
- Frequently bends/stoops, climbs stairs, kneels, balances, reaches above shoulder height, walks, and twists.
- Has normal range of vision, hearing and speech.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Prior work experience not required.
- Knowledge of building and equipment maintenance/repair techniques. Able to effectively utilize that knowledge to keep buildings and grounds attractive, safe and functional.
- Ability to effectively communicate with faculty, staff, and students.
- Verbal and written communications are a very important part of this job. Staff will be required to verbally communicate job status, repair options, and estimated time of completion to end users.
- Must be able to communicate requests, status, equipment evaluations, etc., through e-mail, work order systems or other written means.
- Experience in determining the most cost-effective methods of repair.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $13.56 - $16.50 per hour, Depending on experience
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Facilities Mgmt & Services
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 0
Contact Information for CandidatesCollege of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
Special Instructions to Applicant
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.