Biology Technician - Department of Ophthalmology
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Biology Tecnician with the Department of Ophthalmology. This position will provide assistance to the Principal Investigator (PI) and postdoc to collect scientific data for research projects in Ophthalmology. Responsibilities require some basic decision making and resourcefulness within available guides and precedents. Work effort impacts client services, program and project image, with nominal liabilities.
In ordere to be successful in thisi position, the ideal candidate will:
- Prepare and execute biomedical research in the laboratory.
- Maintains and genotypes animal colonies.
- Administer drugs in small animals
- Prepares reagents
- Process orders for laboratory supplies.
- Assist PI and other investigators in the laboratory with their experiments, as needed.
- Keep detailed records of research data, written and computerized logs of mouse colony censuses, material safety data sheets, and chemical inventories.
- Document, analyze, and present experimental results and discuss findings.
- Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related science field;
- A minimum of six (6) months of experience working in a research laboratory or equivalent combindation of education and experience. Undergraduate research/laboratory experience acceptable. Relevant experience in a biological research laboratory setting is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication, time management, organizational, and self-motivation skills.
- Skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Knowledge of the use and preparation of cell culture media, aseptic technique, general microbiological procedures, and relevant molecular biology protocols.
- Knowledge of general laboratory terminology.
- Ability to measure volumes and/or weights of chemicals, and apply mathematical concepts to calculate concentrations (in molar units) and prepare solutions according to precise specifications.
- Ability to operate general laboratory equipment (i.e. pH meter, scales, pipettors, centrifuges, etc.) and the willingness and ability to learn new techniques, procedures, or protocols and apply them in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to gather, understand and implement technical protocols from current literature.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to maintain records and inventories.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to use tools including wrenches to perform assembly or standard mechanical repairs of laboratory equipment.
- Skilled at small animal handling
- Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 5, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes