Health Educator - Extension Service Berkeley County
West Virginia University Extension Service (WVUES) is seeking applications for a Health Educator in Berkeley County. This position will assist in providing health education programs that help individuals, families and their communities maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles. The incumbent will assist with collecting and analyzing data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies, and environments. Incumbent will serve as a resource to assist individuals and other healthcare workers or the community and may administer fiscal resources for health education programs.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Identify, recruit, enroll, and graduate participants from the WV Family Nutrition Program (FNP) -a series of nutrition and physical activity lessons designed to improve health behaviors of low-income families and youth.
- Teach pre-approved nutrition curricula, resources, recipes, and materials to groups of low-income families and adults in a variety of settings (community centers, schools, faith organizations, summer camps, food pantries, etc.).
- Collect pre-and post-data to demonstrate changes in knowledge, behaviors, and skills.
- Prepare and submit records, reports, forms, surveys, and other methods of collecting information as required by the FNP administrative team.
- Maintain accurate and updated databases needed to complete state and federal reports, including Web-NEERS, EARS, and 4-H Plus (if necessary).
- Maintain an appropriate learning environment for low-income participants based on current research and experience.
- Recruit program volunteers to assist with facilities and other support efforts.
- Provide volunteers with training, oversight, and recognition.
- Acquire donations, such as food items, non-food supplies, space, or funding to complement ongoing program efforts.
- Maintain and submit accurate time records, expense reports, and credit card receipts as required by the FNP administrative team and WVUES.
- Manage monthly/annual budget for supplies and travel and maintain accurate inventory records.
- Develop and submit accurate program planning documents to the FNP administrative team in a timely manner, including the FNP Action Plan, Summer Program Applications and year end reports.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with a variety of community organizations and agencies including the county Board of Education, Department of Health and Human Resources, faith-based organizations, food pantries, Health Departments, etc.
- Assists and/or follows direction of supervisor with a variety of WVU Extension Service programs within the scope of the WV Family Nutrition Program.
- Attend and participate in statewide, regional, and local meetings as required.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as determined appropriate by the FNP administrative team.
- High School Diploma.
- At least (3) years of related experience.
- Maintains skills in, or knowledge of professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to develop correspondence and prepare reports.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to communicating effectively in oral and written methods.
- Ability to identify community networks to communicate information.
- Ability to interact sensitively, effectively and professionally with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds and persons of all ages and lifestyle preferences.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with diverse individuals at various levels.
- Ability to work independently and exercise judgment and professionalism.
- Ability to rapidly learn institution, federal, and state statutes and regulations impacting the program and translate those to practical application.
- Ability to handle a high level of detail.
- Ability to maintain proper attendance and punctuality standards.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and deal tactfully with departments, organizational units, related programs, and external agencies and individuals.
- Knowledge of the mission, goals, and policies of the program.
- Willingness to seek consultation and supervision as needed.
- Knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office programs and internet search engines.
- Ability to work as part of a team and with a degree of independence.
- Ability to travel extensively with occasional overnight stays.
- Technical skills -Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; pursues training and development opportunities; assess strengths, weaknesses, and shares expertise with others.
- Problem solving -Gathers and analyzes information, identifies problems, develops alternatives, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics and works well in groups and resolves matters timely.
- Internal & External Customer Service -Manages difficult or emotional matters with objectivity and openness; responds promptly to needs and requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and dates, notifies others if change occurs; provides, solicits and applies feedback and builds goodwill through balanced contributions, positive approach and respect and support of others.
- Communications -Demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings, listens and obtains clarification as needed, is responsive and speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations, writes and edits clearly and informatively and varies style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Organizational Support -Aligns work and develops strategies to meet organizational goals, seeks to improve and promote quality, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and upholds organizational expectations and values.
- Self-Management -Responds to management direction, resourcefully adapts to changes in work environment and circumstances, responds well under pressure and manages competing demands, takes calculated risks, asks for and offers help when needed, exercises discretion and sound judgment, and is tactful and responsible for own actions. Adheres to work schedule and complies with leave management responsibilities.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Valid driver's license issued in the United States.
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 4, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes