Senior Research Associate - Office of Health Affairs
The Office of Health Affairs within the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center is seeking applications for a Senior Research Associate. The Senior Research Associate is a key participant in the State-University partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia DHHR. The Senior Research Associate will serve as a principal investigator on contracts leading interdisciplinary research, policy research, or program implementation and trainings translating research findings. Overarching responsibilities include working with the State to leverage their data and conducting relevant policy and evaluation research, or program implementation training.
West Virginia University's Office of Health Affairs frequently engages in collaborative efforts with West Virginia's Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR). Ideal candidates will have work experience that aligns with the mission of DHHR's Bureau for Medical Services, Bureau for Children and Families, Bureau for Behavioral Health and Bureau for Public Health.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Lead multidisciplinary research and evaluation teams in using Medicaid claims data or other state data sources to answer research questions of interest to the state.
- Facilitate communication and efficient collaboration between research partners at the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Ensure that data analytic and research/evaluation activities are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
- Provide consultation to faculty and government partners regarding preparation of research proposals, design and methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
- Serve as a University representative and liaison to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning and performance of projects, programs and activities involving health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Identify opportunities for potential collaborations between the Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources as well as other state and nonprofit partners.
- Prepare reports as required by the University, the Health Sciences Center administration, and external agencies. Communicate results of analytic projects and program evaluations with relevant leadership and stakeholders.
- Work closely with WVU OHA leadership and the Director of Evaluation Services to proactively identify and resolve issues that may adversely affect OHA research and evaluation programs.
- Conduct or direct special projects as assigned. Act in other matters and capacities as delegated by the Assistant Vice President for Health Affairs or the Director of Evaluation Services.
- Lead the development of publishing relevant findings.
- Earned PhD in health or data science-related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in the following:
- Post terminal degree experience leading grants or contracts.
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and policy research (health services research, public health informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by publications and/or sustained involvement in a research program.
- Conducting research/evaluation using large health data sources within the healthcare industry or academic or governmental sectors.
- Experience designing and overseeing large research projects.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health databases for research, program evaluation, and policy development.
- Experience analyzing Medicaid administrative claims data or other government program data.
- Extensive knowledge in the use of standard statistical analysis packages such as SAS or R.
- Record of successfully publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts in the field of health services research.
- Experience training and/or supervising other individuals in using statistical analysis packages to analyze administrative claims data.
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data analytics.
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse groups of stakeholders.
Higher Education Leadership Search is assisting the Health Science Center with this search.
To view the complete Position Profile, go to https://www.highereducationleadershipsearch.com/searches/
To nominate someone for this position, e-mail: email@example.com
Martha Lavender, Ph.D. and Thomas Moorman, Ed.D. will be the consultants for the search. If you have questions or would like to have a confidential conversation about the position, call 256-239-2305 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Candidates for this position will be considered through November 12, 2021
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.