Campus Service Worker Lead - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management department of Facilities & Services at West Virginia University is seeking applicants for a Campus Service Worker Lead position. This position is responsible for providing a variety of support services in order to maintain the interior appearance of institutional buildings and the surrounding exterior appearance of the grounds. This work involves adhering to established standard procedures, techniques, and safety requirements with some judgment required to interpret instructions.Will assign and direct work assignments as operational needs dictate.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Clean and maintain the interior appearance of all buildings including classrooms, offices, laboratories, student housing, public areas, etc. by sweeping, mopping, stripping, and waxing floors; vacuuming and shampooing carpets, rugs, and upholstery; dusting and polishing furniture; washing and cleaning walls, ceilings, doors, windows, etc.; and performing other related internal cleaning activities.
- Clean and maintain exterior appearance of all buildings, including removing leaves and debris, cleaning gutters, removing snow and ice, spreading salt, washing graffiti and more.
- Operate various machinery, including walk-behind and riding scrubbers, high-speed burnishers, and hand and power tools.
- Properly mix and dilute commercial strength disinfectants, detergents and solutions, calculating the appropriate amount to use.
- Relocate offices and classrooms by lifting and loading/unloading furniture, file cabinets, boxes, etc. using handtrucks, dollies and other equipment.
- Assist in set-up and tear-down of equipment for special events.
- Perform miscellaneous tasks, including collecting trash and recycling, replenishing supplies, locking/unlocking doors, assisting other workers, and responding to various requests.
- Assists the management team in overseeing, guiding, and assisting campus service workers in completing their operational assignments. Will assist in training new employees.
- Remain current in safety requirements and attend periodic training sessions.
This position will be required to work various shifts that will include evening shifts and weekend shifts. Scheduling may be subject to frequent change.
Work Hours:Night Shift, rotating days off
Pay Grade:10(minimum $12 an hour), WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.WVU offers a comprehensive benefits package, 12 paid holidays and generous paid time off, as well as many other discounts and services. Learn more about available benefits athttps://talentandculture.wvu.edu/benefits-and-compensation
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- 6 months of experience in proper commercial restroom cleaning procedures, commercial floor maintenance procedures, and commercial carpet cleaning procedures. Experience operating commercial custodial equipment such as walk-behind and riding scrubbers, high-speed buffers, automated carpet cleaners, and power lifts. Experience in the mixing and proper application of commercial strength cleaning products.
- 6 months of previous experience in training others in the operation of commercial cleaning custodial equipment and leadership/supervisory training preferred.
- Physical coordination and demands
- Hand/eye coordination
- Long periods of standing, walking, climbing, stooping and bending daily
- Moving furniture and unloading supplies daily
- Working from ladders and confined spaces as needed
- Lifting items weighing at least 50 pounds as needed
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 4, 2021
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes