Public Safety Dispatcher - University Police Department
The University Police Department at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Public Safety Dispatcher position. WVU Police Department Safety Dispatchers are responsible for receiving and transmitting critical and non-emergency information via radio and phone using a complex computerized system, taking all measures possible to ensure the safety of WVU Police Officers, students and the Campus community.In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Use complex systems in the communications center, including cameras, computerized aided dispatch, and other systems typical of a law enforcement environment.
- Provide support for WVU Police and other departments within the University, including administration and investigations, as well as outside agencies requesting assistance or information.
- Perform general office and receptionist duties, including answering phones, filing, overseeing funds transactions, etc.
- Provide customer relations as the first point of contact in many cases to visitors, giving general information concerning the campus, events and directions.
- Conduct background checks and perform fingerprinting.
- Implement the activation of the emergency alert system for the main WVU campus, as well as the Potomac State and Beckley campuses.
- Perform field assignments, assisting with safety patrols, traffic and crowd control.
- Understand and interpret policies, procedures and protocols of the University and Police Department.
- Perform job duties in a high-stress environment, including successfully obtaining and conveying critical information in potential life or death situations.
- Understand various state and federal regulations, including FERPA, the Clery Act, and CJIS and FCC regulations.
- Be responsible for funds transactions and incident report controls with expungements and audits.
- Assume certain duties after hours for the Health Science Center and Facilities Management unit. May include weekends and holidays.
WVU offers a comprehensive benefits package, 12 paid holidays and generous paid time off, as well as many other discounts and services. Learn more about available benefits athttps://talentandculture.wvu.edu/benefits-and-compensation.
- High school diploma or GED
- Education of up to 18-months beyond high school
- A combination of education and experience in criminal justice, law enforcement, communications or related field will also be considered
- Ability to type at a minimum of 20 words per minute
- At least six (6) months experience in the following:
- Heavy public contact, administrative duties, law enforcement, or high stress or highly sensitive communications
- Physical demands include:
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods
- Lift moderate weight daily
- Ability to withstand all types of weather when assigned field detail
- Average or above hearing and vision
- Drug test
- Within six (6) months of hire:
- Association of Public Safety Communications Officials certification
- National Criminal Information System Certification
- Red Cross First Aid Certification
- Red Cross or American Heart Association Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification
- Additional training:
- Three (3) weeks of on-the-job training to learn duties
- At least three (3) weeks of classroom instruction to learn University procedures, customer service, patrol tactics, etc.
- Certification training in defensive tactics and CPR/AED/First Aid
- Optional certification training available in pressure points, ground and knife defense and pepper spray
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 4, 2021
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes