Student Services Administration Professional I
Posting Number: req6838
Department: Graduate College Admin
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe Graduate College is seeking applications for a Student Academic Specialist. The person holding this position will perform duties in the Graduate Admissions section of the Graduate College and report to the Admissions Director. The incumbent in this role is responsible for ensuring compliance to all graduate admissions policies and must provide competent oversight and efficient communication to assist applicants, students, staff, and the general public in the navigation and completion of the graduate admissions process while maintaining responsible and secure data management practices.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews each applicant recommended by academic units for admission to a Graduate program to confirm Graduate College minimum qualifications are met. This includes calculation of official Grade Point Averages, extensive research to confirm accreditation of earned bachelor's or master's degree to determine comparability of international degrees and verifying English-language proficiency for international applicants.
- Completes admission and sends official notice of the applicant's acceptance to the University of Arizona Graduate College.
- Monitors admission to ensure that admissions on multiple UA campuses does not occur.
- Corresponds with applicants, agencies, program coordinators, and professors in relevant departments to collect information required for waiver justifications and any missing documents.
- Collects, reviews, and researches transcripts and diploma/degree verifications.
- Maintains and tracks all records associated with applicant's file in necessary admissions related systems such as UAccess, Slate, and OnBase.
- Maintains applicant record correspondence between Slate customer relations software, Outlook, and PeopleSoft student data files.
- Activates and manages required student groups and guaranteed student fee categories for new students.
- Applies/Releases appropriate registration blocking Service Indicators based on completeness of admission record.
- Assists departments with the defer process for students who are unable to attend their original term of admission.
- Scans and imports documents required for archiving in student files.
- Serves as a primary reference source to assist applicants, departments and UA employees regarding technical administrative questions concerning the application process and ensures that necessary follow-up is performed.
- Recommends changes to policies or procedures affecting assigned functions.
- Plans and prioritizes workload to meet set deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure the rigorous and efficient graduate admissions processes are in order.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer skills, including MS Office
- Attention to detail
- Work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience
- 1 year of relevant work experience may be required
- One year experience with UA student information system (UAccess).
- Experience using GradApp, OnBase, Slate.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Student Services
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.69/ hour to $17.31/hour, DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Student Services Admin
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.