Manager of Adult Education and Literacy
POSITION: Manager of Adult Education and Literacy – Full-Time – Lufkin
EMPLOYMENT DATE: Until Filled
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least two years teaching experience in Adult Education, Higher Education, or K-12.
- Driver License.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer skills and experience with spreadsheets and databases.
- Texas Teacher Certification.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
- ESL Certification.
- Experience as a supervisor in an educational setting.
- Experience in curriculum development and evaluation of educational programs.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities.
- Understand how to work successfully as a team within all levels of the organization and know how to contribute to the mission of the college.
- Travel throughout the Angelina College Service Area.
- Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Work Environment
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must possess the ability to interact with a diverse student population.
- Must possess the ability to promote a positive work environment among colleagues.
It is the intent of the basic job requirements, duties, and responsibilities that these minimum requirements should therefore, be referred to as a guide for, rather than a limitation to the services required.
The position will report to the Director of Adult Education and Literacy for job responsibilities and other College related activities as outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual. Essential duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise part-time and full-time instructors of AEL as assigned;
- Manage instruction of adults in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics, and/or English language acquisition at assigned AEL sites;
- Manage administration and evaluation of student baseline and progress assessments;
- Supervise and assist with the recruitment of AEL students into adult education programs as well as Integrated EL Civics, Integrated Education & Training and Academies;
- Supervise and assist with New Student Orientation in a group or individual setting or remotely;
- Assist students in setting attainable goals and completing an Individual Training, Education and Career plan (ITEC);
- Serve in at least one of the grant-required positions such as Accountability Lead, Quality Assurance, Lead for Distance Learning, Lead for Instruction, Professional Development Coordinator, or Career Navigator;
- Supervise and assist in preparation of lesson plans correlated to the Texas Content Standards and monitoring of student performance;
- Supervise instruction of adults in workforce preparation activities for Integrated Education & Training and/or Integrated EL Civics;
- Coordinate instruction with student goals, program goals and other staff members;
- Supervise and assist in the collection and timely reporting of student data into the Texas Educating Adults Management System (TEAMS) database;
- Ensure completion and maintenance required student records;
- Supervise enrollment, monitoring, and follow-up of Distance Learning students;
- Maintain confidentiality of student information and materials according to FERPA guidelines; and
- Participate in Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) required Professional Development annually.
CONTRACT & SALARY:
$40,000 - $50,000 per year, in addition to excellent employee benefits. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States must be verified for the successful candidate.
A letter of interest, completed application form, a resume, and college transcripts are required for an applicant to be considered. Please visit the Angelina College portal at https://myac.angelina.edu/ICS/AC_Employment/ to apply. Screening of qualified applicants will begin and continue until the position is filled. This is a security sensitive position and an appropriate background investigation will be made on applicants being strongly considered for the position.
Angelina College is a great place to work and Lufkin is a great place to live! From the arts to the outdoors, Lufkin offers a wide variety of entertainment activities. We have many parks and our residents enjoy spending time walking and biking on the beautiful Azalea Trail. Golfers have a choice of four different courses. Lake Sam Rayburn provides opportunities for fishing and boating. Families often enjoy spending a day at Ellen Trout Zoo. For those who prefer shopping and dining, Lufkin has a wide variety of shops and restaurants offering everything from antiques to clothing and home-style cooking to fine dining. Our downtown area offers quaint boutiques and is the scene of many community events. Spending a day at a museum doesn’t require a long drive to the big city. Lufkin is home to the Museum of East Texas, the Texas Forestry Museum, and the Naranjo Natural History Museum. The arts come alive with organizations like Angelina Arts Alliance, which hosts the performing arts from around the world.
With all that it offers in recreation and entertainment, Lufkin really is a great place to live.
Angelina College is a comprehensive community college of 5,200 students located in Lufkin, Angelina County, Texas, and serving twelve counties of East Texas. Lufkin is a city of 38,000 people, situated about 120 miles northeast of Houston, 112 miles southwest of Shreveport, Louisiana, and 165 miles southeast of Dallas.
Angelina College reserves the right to extend search or not offer position advertised.