Director-Office for Title IX & Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator/Equity Officer
Reporting to the Chief of Staff to the President and Vice President for the Division of Inclusion & Equity with a dotted line to the President, the Title IX Coordinator/Equity Officer is responsible for overseeing, developing, and directing programs, policies and procedures in accordance with Title IX, Title VI, Title VII, and other non-discrimination and civil rights protections afforded by university policy. The coordinator holds the position of Title IX Coordinator and leads the University's Title IX compliance by administering the GVSU Title IX and sexual misconduct grievance process, implementing supportive measures and remedies, and overseeing all training related to Title IX and sexual misconduct. The coordinator serves on the Division of Inclusion and Equity leadership team.
- Oversee all aspects of related investigations and resolutions, including the prompt, effective and equitable intake, reporting, investigation, appeal and remedies of all instances of harassment, discrimination including sexual and gender-based harassment, and sexual misconduct.
- Develop and oversee non-discrimination/anti-harassment policies and procedures governing the reporting, investigation and adjudication of complaints, and the effective, prompt oversight of the investigation process and implementation of remedies. Ensure appropriate processes are in place to provide for the prompt and equitable resolutions of complaints and appeals related to compliance with complaints of discrimination and harassment.
- Develop and distribute clear and effective content and resources related to Title IX and sexual misconduct.
- Oversee the development and implementation of training for the campus community related to the rights and responsibilities of all campus community members under Title IX and university policy, as well as the services and grievance procedures available to them. Develop, coordinate and/or implement mandatory reporting training to all employees concerning Title IX and sexual misconduct. Work with GVSU leadership and campus partners to address issues of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and retaliation, aligning institutional practices with regulatory and policy requirements.
- Ensure that GVSU's policies, procedures, and practices comply with Title IX, Title VII, Title VI, and other state and federal civil rights laws.
- Review campus climate concerns reports for possible policy implications. Refer to GVSU-designated staff for a response when appropriate.
- As Title IX Coordinator, ensure that GVSU's policies, procedures, and practices regarding discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct comply with Title IX; other federal laws related to the Title IX program and sexual misconduct on campus (e.g., the Violence Against Women Act and the Campus Sexual Assault and Violence Elimination (SaVE) Act); and any relevant federal and state laws.
- Ensure that complaints, reports, investigations, appeals of all forms of discrimination, harassment and sexual misconduct are handled in accordance with GVSU policies and through prompt, fair, and impartial practices and standards. This includes the receipt, evaluation, investigation, and resolution of complaints, as well as the training of those involved in investigations and adjudication.
- Identify investigator, and coordinate investigations on matters of discrimination, harassment and sexual misconduct involving students, staff, and faculty.
- With the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity, serve as GVSU's institutional representative on Title IX and sexual misconduct-related matters, including in communications with government officials/reporting requirements, the President and Senior Leadership Team, and the Board of Trustees.
- Enhance professional qualifications through ongoing participation in conferences, seminars, and other professional development activities.
- Maintain reporting and investigation records in accordance with the law and GVSU policies.
- Coordinate reporting and assist campus police on VAWA and Clery Act-related matters where appropriate.
- Collaborate with campus partners in coordinating and/or overseeing the development and implementation of any assessments (e.g., surveys) of campus climate to address sexual misconduct, and sex and gender-based harassment. Utilize, review, and assess findings to enhance the effectiveness of GVSU's policies and compliance efforts around sexual misconduct and harassment.
- Track trends; report and address systemic problems relating to complaints and resolutions.
- Oversee Office for Title IX & Institutional Equity budget.
- Oversee the selection, training, work and assessment of Title IX Deputy Coordinator, other staff members, investigator(s), panel members, and appeal coordinator to ensure application of consistent practices and fair/equitable standards for all complaints, investigations, and resolutions.
- Act as primary contact for both complainants and respondents; ensure a fair, timely, equitable process is communicated and implemented for all reports under Title IX; advise impacted parties of their rights; provide resource referrals to impacted parties involved in investigations.
- Remain current and knowledgeable of federal, state, local laws and regulations and university best practices as related to Title IX, Title VI, Title VII, discrimination, and harassment.
- Serve on the Vice President for Inclusion & Equity's leadership team providing advice and counsel on strategic inclusion and equity initiatives.
- Build a culture of collaboration with university partners through structures, communication, and education.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and at least three years of experience, knowledge and training related to sexual misconduct, sexual and gender-based harassment, Title IX, student conduct, diversity and inclusion, regulatory compliance or related area(s) or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of current regulations, state, federal and applicable case law.
- Knowledge of anti-discrimination policies, practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage complex sensitive situations confidentially and tactfully.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships. Ability to build relationships and balance the multiple, varying and even conflicting interests of diverse stakeholders.
- Experience working in a higher education setting and with college students.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse individuals and groups in regards to race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, religion, socioeconomic background, and all protected identities.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Five years of full-time progressively responsible higher education experience.
- Title IX Coordinator and Civil Rights Investigator certification.
- Identified research and trends in the field of education related to harassment and other discriminatory practices that violate civil rights laws.
- Experience in assessment and evaluation.
- Experience with electronic case management and record-keeping systems (e.g., Simplicity/Advocate).
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Department/Division: Office of Vice President for Inclusion and Equity/Division of Inclusion and Equity
Campus: Allendale (main) with perch offices on other campuses
How To Apply
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume, as well as three letters of reference. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University has recently implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine requirement that will be tied to FDA approval. GVSU will require all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated by September 30, 2021. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.