Director of Internal Auditing (SEARCH EXTENDED)
Eastern Illinois University invites applications for the position of Director of Internal Auditing. The Director reports directly to the University President, and functionally to the Board of Trustees Finance and Audit Committee. The Director is responsible for providing objective assurance and advisory services to improve the University's processes and internal controls. This position will be responsible for the continuous identification and evaluation of risks and the development of audit plans to help meet University objectives. The Director works with leadership across campus to identify key internal controls and best practices to achieve effective and efficient processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assures compliance with professional standards for the practice of internal auditing.
- Plans and performs operational, financial, and compliance engagements across University departments, programs, operations and processes.
- Reviews the design of major new electronic data processing systems and major modifications of those systems.
- Utilizes research, analytics and other methods to gather data and to perform various activities, including reviewing and evaluating complex internal controls, the safeguarding of assets, and the economy and efficiency of the use of resources.
- Monitors engagement outcomes and conducts follow-up activities.
- Collaborates with University leadership and other areas throughout the University to develop a risk-based audit plan.
- Maintains partnerships with other management personnel and assists by providing analysis, appraisals, recommendations and other information concerning the activities reviewed.
- Understands, interprets, explains and applies University, state and federal policies and regulations to areas of audit inquiries.
- Responsible for overall direction, daily operations and project management of internal audit.
- Maintains the Internal Auditing's website.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the President and Audit Committee.
- BA/BS in accounting, business, or other appropriate field required AND a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) by examination or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and who has at least four (4) years of progressively responsible professional auditing experience OR has at least five (5) years of progressively responsible professional auditing experience.
- Thorough understanding of risks and controls in business processes including information technology and demonstrated ability to direct and/or conduct financial and operational audits
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated skills using technology and various software applications
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Adheres to the highest degree of professional and ethical standards.
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience promoting inclusive excellence is required.
Submit application materials by October 15, 2021. Review of application materials will be ongoing and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a letter describing the candidate's interest in and qualifications for the position, a resume, and the names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers for at least three professional references.
For questions regarding this search, please contact Jonathan McKenzie, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com.