Student Accounting Manager
Business and Financial Services
Carlow University invites applications for the full-time position of Student Accounting Manager. The Student Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the Student Accounting area and oversees the billing, financial accounting and reporting, past due accounts collection, loan collection (Federal Perkins and Institutional Loans), credit evaluation, and cashiering functions. The Manager acts as the University’s primary resource on student accounting revenue issues and interacts with Carlow staff, students, and funding entities to ensure procedures are streamlined, efficient and meet mission standards.
Under the direction of the University Controller, the Manager will work closely with the Business Office to perform complex reporting and analytics to maximize collection strategies, ensure receivables are maintained and modeled within established metric goals and oversee the quarterly allowance for bad debt calculations. This position is responsible for the College's past due student accounts receivable management service and internal recovery efforts with collections such as sending past due follow-up inquiries, negotiating with past due accounts, and referring accounts to collection agencies. The Manager is responsible for achieving revenue recovery goals while delivering excellent customer service to ensure customer satisfaction and retention.
- Manage and create operational processes to assist in the supervision of student accounting receivable activities related to billing, cashiering, merchant services, collection, refund disbursement, and complex analytical reporting and compliance
- Review and coordinate billing and collections to ensure accuracy, service, delivery and timeliness for student and third-party accounts including: Veterans, Sponsorships, and other Agencies
- Manage and disburse student refunds due to Federal or State Financial Aid disbursements and other credit balances in accordance and compliance with all Federal, State and Local regulations
- Manage, report, and create monthly analytics on student accounting key indicators
- Manage, report, and create monthly analytics on student account payment plans
- Monitor past due accounts, direct and lead collection efforts, calculate bad debt provision and collections and provide analytic reporting
- Calculate deferred revenue for tuition and aid to ensure accurate financial reporting
- Oversee Loan Funds including Federal Perkins and Institutional Loans
- Ensure effective communication of Student Accounts information to current and prospective students, as well as parents, legal guardians
- Develop, design, revise, and update all university publications (website, college catalog, and other media) relating to Student Accounts, such as billing, payment methods, correspondence forms and brochures. Provide training and materials to college staff regarding the Student Accounting processes.
- Assist the University Budget Director with specific analysis related to the preparation of the annual revenue budget
- Assist in development of financial and administrative policies and procedures
- Supervise Student Accounting Department staff
- Maintain systems and procedures with current technology and ensuring efficient processes and controls to streamline processes and eliminate errors in billing, collections and reporting
- Responsible for the team’s testing of ERP and other third-party platforms for system upgrades, patches, and implementations
- Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of, and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Management, Finance or directly related field
- Minimum 5 years experience, with preference given to candidates with higher education experience
- Minimum 2+ years supervisory experience
- Advanced Excel skills including analysis, modeling, pivot tables, graphs, and related technical skills
- Capability to learn ERP systems and associated data warehouse systems
- Ability to provide leadership within a cross-functional organization, project management, solve complex issues, deliver results and meet standard monthly, quarterly and annual deadlines
- Effective in a dynamic and collaborative environment in a positive and proactive manner
- Outstanding time management and organization skills
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University’s resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality in all regards, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. We strive for a campus that reflects the University’s urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance the University community.