Director of Student Affairs
Kansas Health Science Center - KansasCOM is currently recruiting for a Director of Student Affairs. The Director of Student Affairs serves as the primary student development/affairs leader, and the ranking student services administrator reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Services. The Director of Student Affairs provides a wide-range of student development and support services, including but not limited to, providing leadership for a quality student life program, oversight for KansasCOM's Office of Student Affairs, Office of Learning Enhancement, Counseling Services, and Office of Career Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads efforts to enhance and sustain a campus environment that supports student success, stimulates developmental and professional growth, emphasizes leadership and professionalism, and engages students in a wide variety of services that extend to all aspects of student life at KansasCOM.
- Responsible for the direction of all administrative duties within the Office of Student Affairs including direct reports management and goal obtainment, department budget, adherence to KansasCOM policies, practices, and protocols.
- Manages student relationships, cultivating leadership, mentorship, and a culture of support to ensure developmental and professional academic achievement.
- Helps ensure students reach optimal performance through the monitoring of their academic performance, identifying at-risk students, recommending action plans and interventions, and referring students to available resources.
- Presents policies and protocols to students through seminars, educational and professional development sessions and ensures that students understand the professional expectations of KansasCOM.
The Director of Student Affairs will have supervisory authority over the following administrative areas within the University's Student Services Department:
- Student Affairs- All student affairs related personnel and responsibilities will report through this position, including but not limited to, student activities, student organizational support, student interventions, student disciplinary processes and procedures, and personal crisis interventions.
- Learning Support for Students- The Director of Student Affairs has supervisory authority over the Office of Learning Enhancement. All learning enhancement staff will report to this position.
- Advising Student Leadership- The Director of Student Affairs will be the primary advisor for KansasCOM's Student Government Association.
- Community Affairs- This position serves as the primary position for developing and fostering community/campus partnerships which provide continued opportunities for student learning outside of the classroom.
- Advising- The authority to assign students to faculty advisors and the training of faculty advisors, consistent with the mission and processes of KansasCOM, falls within the Director of Student Affairs' purview.
- Wellness- Provides leadership in cultivating and implementing wellness in all aspects of KansasCOM's culture, including providing the administrative guidance for the Student Wellness Council.
- Student Orientation- Works with the Associate Dean to design and implement the orientation agendas for the various campuses and colleges within the University. Directs all community outreach done by KansasCOM during orientation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong collaboration, interpersonal and verbal communication skills required to counsel students, faculty, parents, and staff of diverse backgrounds and resolve conflicts.
- Knowledge of legal issues in higher education and a demonstrated commitment to advocating for student issues, diversity and inclusion are essential.
- Critical-thinking and analytical abilities required to assess situations and determine the best method of dealing with such issues based on college policies.
- Knowledge of organizational systems, the role of public education in the United States, racial equity, social justice, culturally relevant instruction/practices, and special education laws and practices.
- Ability to led personnel and programs.
- Ability to manage multiple competing projects and assess priorities to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Education Administration, or other related field. Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in higher education student support required.
- Demonstrated progressive higher education leadership experience.
Normal office environment. On-call for student and/or campus emergencies.
Either directly or indirectly supervises all personnel within the Office of Student Affairs, Office of Learning Enhancement, Office of Career Services, and Counseling Services.Kansas Health Science Center offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events. Kansas Health Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Company:Kansas Health Science Center