Director of Admissions
The University of Minnesota Crookston (UMN Crookston) is dedicated to equitable and inclusive education as well as to its access mission as a land-grant university. With an enrollment of 1,700 degree-seeking students spanning on-campus and online programs, UMN Crookston serves one of the highest proportions of first generation, low-income, rural, and adult learner populations within the University of Minnesota system. The racial diversity of the student body is significantly higher than that of the region, and UMN Crookston is strategically committed to expand this advantage by further diversifying its faculty, student affairs staff, and student body. As a part of its commitment to comprehensive equity and inclusion, UMN Crookston is a leading educational provider for college students from rural communities, and the university partners with several regional high schools to offer non-degree dual-enrollment courses for high school students. Approximately 750 of UMN Crookston’s degree-seeking students complete courses on campus, two-thirds of whom live in the university’s exceptional residence hall facilities.
Located in the college town of Crookston, Minnesota, UMN Crookston proudly carries on a tradition of more than a century of educational service to northwestern Minnesota. UMN Crookston delivers educational programs that build upon a broad academic foundation and combine theory, practice, and hands-on experimentation. ”Real; Hands-on; Ready;” is one of the marketing slogans of the campus. Since 1993, UMN Crookston has equipped all on-campus students and faculty with laptop computers leveraging the most current technology to enhance the student and faculty experience. Among its largest academic programs are majors in equine and animal science, agronomy, management, marketing, healthcare management, and communication. UMN Crookston has received national recognition for the value of its education, affordability, and impact on social mobility. U.S. News recently named UMN Crookston as its top “Midwest Top Public Regional College.”Position
The Director of Admissions is responsible for student recruitment planning for both in-person and online programs, outreach activity, office management, and the development and execution of an integrated marketing plan for the college to increase its visibility and prominence. The Director will supervise the admissions team, maintain and improve office systems; address technology needs; establish departmental goals and institutional objectives for quality/customer service; develop and implement, in collaboration with faculty, administration and staff, comprehensive and aggressive recruitment and marketing strategies and activities to achieve the University’s student enrollment and multicultural goals. The plan will enable the college to identify, recruit, select and enroll high school, transfer students, and working professionals, from diverse populations and geographical locations.
This is a full-time, 12-month renewable contract reporting to the Interim Director for Enrollment Management. Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications with an anticipated salary range is $65,000-$72,000 plus an excellent benefits package.Responsibilities
Leadership (cuts across each of the following)
- Develop and foster an admissions organization that is collaborative and connected with the other aspects of the university and the community.
- Make decisions that are informed by research, data, and theory and that leverage students’ unique cultures, experiences, and backgrounds as strengths.
- Exhibit a philosophical approach grounded in the belief that all students can learn and succeed.
- Demonstrate self-awareness of one's own cultural beliefs, perspectives, and privileges as a part of one’s orientation toward leadership.
- Contribute to assessment, accreditation, and other continuous improvement processes.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive admissions plan that effectively builds a competitive advantage consistent with UMN Crookston’s mission, academic programs, and unique strengths;
- Aggressively increase the inquiry pool and recruit prospective students who will succeed at the campus leading to attainment of institutional enrollment goals for both in-person and online populations;
- Coordinate and refine the use of the student inquiry management system including prospect generation, inquiry, application, evaluation, and notification including international admissions;
- Work to target populations, create market segmentation, student search services, multi-step direct mailings, e-mail, the World Wide Web, telemarketing, financial assistance, and appropriate use of print, electronic, video and other media materials;
- Collaboratively develop and implement an image and identity plan to realize institutional visibility goals that address issues of positioning, organizational branding, strategic communications, public relations planning, message content, story placement, media visibility, constituency building, and outreach through media advertising, public relations, direct mail, publications programs, and web development initiatives
- Ensure an excellent student experience from an individual's first contact with the university through their initial enrollment;
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the admissions office (nine staff) including hiring, training, supervising, evaluating, retaining, and serving as a mentor to office staff;
- Initiate communication and planning with two-year institutions, high schools and other target audiences locally, regionally, and nationally;
- Coordinate the integration of enrollment management strategies, strategic use of scholarship money, student financial assistance, and retention;
- Collect and analyze data and prepare reports to include admissions activities, recruitment/enrollment forecasting, and assessment of demographic market forces;
- Ensure the effective administration of the admissions websites, on-line application, database systems, and statistical and survey tools; and
- Coordinate on- and off-site information sessions and recruiting events, arrange student visiting days and meetings with potential students, college night information sessions, and conference exhibits.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Four years of experience in admissions and/or recruiting;
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competence, and achievement in working with diverse student populations;
- Knowledge and demonstrated successful use of admissions and marketing strategies and processes including market research, direct mail, telemarketing, recruitment publications, e-recruitment, and financial aid leveraging;
- Exceptional leadership, supervision, analytical, and organizational skills;
- Exemplary customer service and relationship-building skills;
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, oral communication and oral presentations;
- Outstanding and proven ability to organize and follow through on projects;
- Strong interpersonal skills, evidence of the ability to establish rapport easily with a wide variety of people and to project a positive image;
- Demonstrated capacity for collaboration across departmental lines to create a team-oriented environment with faculty, staff and students;
- Competency in data analysis and the use of spreadsheet, database, and word processing applications; and
- Valid driver's license and willingness to travel (requires occasional overnight, evening and week-end work).
The final job offer is contingent upon a complete background check and receipt of official transcripts.Preferred Qualifications
- Earned master’s degree;
- Demonstrated commitment to the land-grant mission of the University of Minnesota Crookston, especially as related to access and student success;
- Experience in personnel supervision and budget management;
- Knowledge of print, mass media and web/Internet purchasing and placement;
- Experience developing new markets;
- Experience using computerized databases, the internet and web-based enrollment strategies; and
- Five years progressively responsible experience in college admissions, enrollment management, and/or comparable experience, and record of success in sales and marketing.