Lecturer in Public Health
Provide Rank: Lecturer
Position Number: 070101
Department: Health and Exercise Science (HES) - 273200
- Earned Master of Public Health ( MPH) degree or Master of Science in Public Health ( MSPH).
- Evidence of teaching experience.
- Evidence of service to the university and/or community.
- Evidence of public health practice experience.
- Evidence of valuing diversity and inclusion.
Description of the Department or Unit
The Public Health program is housed in the Department of Health and Exercise Science and is located within the Beaver College of Health Sciences ( BCHS). The BCHS is the second largest college at Appalachian State University with around 3,700 students served by 150 faculty and staff. Committed to interprofessional innovation and collaboration in teaching, scholarship, service and clinical outreach, the BCHS is transforming the health and quality of life for the communities we serve. In 2018, the College expanded to include the Holmes Convocation Center and Leon Levine Hall of Health Sciences, a new, state-of-the-art 203,000 square foot facility that is the cornerstone of the Wellness District. In addition, the college is home for the Blue Cross NC Institute for Health and Human Services and has a collaborative partnership with the Wake Forest School of Medicine's Physician Assistant Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach 12 credit hours in the fall semester and 12 credit hours in the spring semester across multiple public health courses in the curriculum.
- Engage in programmatic work and activities.
- Participate in service activities for the department, university, and community.
- Provide students with academic and professional mentoring.
- Align course content with accreditation standards.
- Attend program, department, and college meetings. Participate in commencement.
Type of Position: Full Time Position
Appointment Type: 1.0
Number Of Months Per Year: 9
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of classroom and educational environments in a professional position at a university.
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Proposed Date of Hire: 01/03/2022
Suggested Salary Range: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For a complete application, please apply and submit all below-required documents electronically through Appalachian State University's Job Board:
(1) a cover letter addressing the position description, qualifications, and experience.
(2) a diversity statement. Appalachian State and the Department of Health and Exercise Science are committed to working with diverse student and community populations. In your application, please describe how your scholarship, teaching, service, or other relevant life experiences contribute to diverse and inclusive communities.
(3) a statement of teaching philosophy.
(4) a research agenda.
(5) a curriculum vitae.
(6) unofficial copies of all transcripts. Note that finalists invited for campus interviews must submit official transcripts prior to the campus interview.
(7) a list of three (minimum) professional references including name, current position, email, address, and phone number.
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.Posting Date: 09/07/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/ EEO Officer
Director of Title IX Compliance/Title IX Coordinator
ADA/504 Coordinator & Office of Disability Resources Director
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Search Chair Name
B. Adam Hege
Search Chair Email