Assistant Professor - Modern Languages
The Department of Modern Languages at Farmingdale State College of the State University of New York invites applications for a tenure-track, assistant professor position in Italian commencing Fall 2022. We are seeking highly qualified candidates with good communication skills who have demonstrated excellence in teaching. The successful candidate will be expected to teach four (4) courses per semester in Italian to non-majors. All faculty members at Farmingdale State College are expected to fulfill expectations in teaching, scholarship, and service.
The candidate will demonstrate an interest and high level of competence in teaching. He/She should have a research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty and has the potential for peer-reviewed publications and presentations which are necessary for consideration for continuing appointment at the college. Service includes advising students as well as serving on departmental and college wide committees.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D in Italian, or Italian Studies.
- College teaching experience.
- Native or near-native fluency in Italian.
- Excellent command of the English Language.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Two years of teaching experience at college level in Italian, culture, film, history, or literature in translation.
- Experience teaching Spanish.
This is a full-time, 10 month, tenure track faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Tuesday, September 14, 2021 and ending Saturday, September 25, 2021, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Friday, December 31, 2021
- SALARY: $65,000/year, may increase commensurate with experience
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: September 1, 2022
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans.
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link - http://www.farmingdale.edu/consumer-information
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
To apply, submit a letter of application (that includes a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology), c.v., copies of teaching evaluations, unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/or currently in process), names and contact information of three references. Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.URL: www.farmingdale.edu/employment