Admissions Counselor for Undergraduate Online Programs
Position Title: Admissions Counselor for Undergraduate Online Programs
Position Status: Full-Time, Twelve (12) Month Position
Directly Reports To: Associate Director of Graduate and Transfer Admissions
Catawba College (“Catawba”) seeks a forward-thinking, dynamic professional to lead recruitment and admissions efforts for adult online bachelor completion students. This position requires representation both on and off campus to a wide variety of constituents, including prospective students, community-based organizations, corporate partners, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process. Additionally, this position will evaluate application and other supplemental materials for making admissions decisions.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of trends in the fields of represented online programs, and advise students on the breadth and depth of opportunities available
- Conduct thorough, holistic, selective review of an applicant’s candidacy
- Plan and implement recruitment activities for assigned population, including travel activities and developing an inquiry pool, conversion of inquiry to applicant, applicant to admit, and admit to enrollment
- Adhere to specific goals as set by the Associate Director of Graduate and Transfer Admissions and Director of Online Programming
- Correspond with program applicants through email, telephone, and text
- Plan special events and arrange specific recruiting travel
- Develop and foster relationships with market influencers and alumni in area that may strengthen programs
- Maintain record comments and applicant progress in Catawba’s CRM software system.
- Build relationships with program faculty and facilitate faculty committee evaluation of applications based on college transcripts and recommendations
- Travel to community college and businesses within North Carolina to forge relationships with prospective students for online programs and those interested in transferring to Catawba
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS/EXPERTISE:
- B.A. or B.S. degree required. Prior experience working in college recruitment is preferred
- Position requires initiative and ability to make decisions in a fast-paced setting
- Must have capacity to be flexible, assertive, intuitive, patient, personable, and empathetic
- Exceptional communication skills and demonstrated professionalism required
- Knowledge of admissions processes, procedures and systems
- Advanced computer skills, including MS Office Suite. Prior experience with a customer relationship management (CRM) system preferred
- Organizational and problem-solving skills with the capacity to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Aptitude to develop and maintain highly effective relationships both internally and externally
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license, willingness to travel, and reliable transportation required
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers. Individual must have ability to travel and work a moderately flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and movement is required. This would require the ability to lift files and file boxes, open filing cabinets, walking, and bending or standing as necessary.
Founded in 1851 in Newton, North Carolina, Catawba was started by German pioneers who had traveled from eastern Pennsylvania to settle in the valleys of the Haw, Yadkin, and Catawba Rivers. In 1890, Catawba became a coeducational institution and the first woman graduate completed her studies in 1893. In 1925, Catawba moved and re-opened to its current location in Salisbury, NC, which is about 45 minutes from Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte, two hours from the mountains, and four hours from the beaches.
Today, Catawba College has 41 buildings on 276 wooded acres on a residential campus. Catawba is known for its 189 acre on-campus ecological preserve. Ranked as one of the best colleges in the south, Catawba offers 70 academic majors to approximately 1,300 students representing 34 U.S. states and 19 foreign countries. Students are instructed by more than 80 full-time faculty, more than 83% of whom hold the highest degree in their field.
Catawba provides an education focused on an institutional philosophy of a liberal education, which entails a broad range of knowledge, intellectual and practical skills, and individual and social responsibility fostered and developed in all academic programs. Catawba is a learning community that provides students unique opportunities to explore vocation, helping students to consider their calling, their passions, and their purpose as they prepare to reach their highest potential. Catawba’s mission is to provide “students an education rich in personal attention that blends the knowledge and competencies of liberal studies with career preparation” and to enable “students to reach their highest potential while becoming responsible citizens.” More information about Catawba College is located at www.catawba.edu
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three (3) references in a single pdf document addressed to Ms. Alycia Parsons, Associate Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.
Review of applications begins September 27, 2021, and the position remains open until filled.
Catawba College is an equal opportunity employer. As such, Catawba is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status, unless allowed by law and deemed necessary to Catawba operations. Candidates must successfully pass a background check and drug screening before employment begins, and Catawba complies with all federal, state, and local laws governing non-discrimination.