Adjunct Mind-Body Medicine Faculty Member, Contemplative End of Life Care
Saybrook University is seeking Adjunct Faculty Members to join its Department of Mind-Body Medicine (MBM), Contemplative End of Life (CEOL) Care Specialization to teach courses and support course development.
Saybrook University is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body and is recruiting passionate scholar-practitioners to support the university mission.
Under the direction of the Department Chair of MBM and CEOL Specialization Coordinator, the Adjunct Faculty Member is responsible for modeling instructional excellence in teaching and mentoring activities. Ideal candidates have expertise in palliative and end of care settings. They also understand diverse student learners and the humanistic culture embedded within Saybrook University.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting curriculum development, syllabi revisions, and teaching courses specific to:
- Grief and loss
- Attending to the chronically ill, the dying, and their families
- Contemplative approaches
- Professional ethics specific to palliative and end of life care
- Collaborating frequently and maintaining timely communication with the MBM Department Chair and CEOL Specialization Coordinator.
- Delivering high quality courses that foster critical thinking, experiential learning, and writing.
- Providing constructive feedback and mentorship to students enrolled in the program.
- Participating in virtual or residential/educational conferences to present workshops specific to thanatological studies and contemplative care.
- Attending required faculty training (e.g., Canvas, IRB, HR) and departmental, college, and university meetings.
- Maintaining effective professional and community involvement and/or affiliations.
- Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning, ideally in the areas of psychology and integrative medicine; however strong candidates from other fields will be considered.
- Demonstrated scholarship and/or accomplishments in the field with an emphasis in thanatological studies and contemplative approaches to care.
- Relevant supervision and teaching experience at the doctoral level, as well delivering content related to contemplative approaches to care and thanatological studies
- Commitment to multicultural, humanistic principles and contemplative approaches to care.
- Knowledge of higher education best practices as well as best practices in thanatological studies and contemplative approaches to care.
- Experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations.
- Collegial attitude and willingness to work within a matrix organization.
- Clear communication skills.
- License or certification in appropriate discipline, as appropriate (i.e., clinical psychology, counseling, coaching, etc.). Association of Death Education Counseling (ADEC) certification preferred, as well as training and/or certification in contemplative care.
- Engage in ongoing technology education and adoption of new systems and processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in thanatological studies (contemplative care knowledge and experience desirable).
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University.
- Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experience with on-line instruction is desirable).
- Capable of offering on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within their areas of expertise.
- Create a sense of unity and common purpose and manage change effectively.
- Experience with Office 365 and Learning Management Systems (Canvas experience preferred).
- Willingness to travel for occasional residential conference events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Saybrook University
Saybrook University was founded over 50 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University's academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, and counseling, all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a diverse, inclusive community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events. Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.