Assistant Professor - Visual Communications (Interactive Media)
Farmingdale State College invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor faculty position for the NASAD accredited Visual Communications: Art & Graphic Design program. The program is seeking a faculty member with a strong graphic design background with an emphasis on interactive media including web design, app design and social media. The successful candidate will join the Visual Communications Department, which encourages a culture for students to learn the value of creativity, imagination, passion, collaboration and social responsibility.
All faculty members at Farmingdale State College have three workload components: teaching; research & scholarly activity (which includes creative and artistic works); and service. The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and high-level of competence in teaching (teaching modalities include day and evening classes, including online and hybrid formats). Candidates should also have a creative/research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty - this may include published or commissioned artwork created for professional clients within a competitive environment; or work in peer-reviewed publications, exhibitions, and presentations. Service includes advising students as well as serving on departmental and college-wide committees. All three components are necessary for promotion and tenure at Farmingdale State College.
To apply, submit a letter of application (including a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology) a C.V., references, at least ten professional work samples, and at least ten student work samples if available. Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Candidates invited for interviews (which will be held virtually) will be asked to share a presentation on their research/creative activities, and a separate teaching demonstration.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- A terminal degree (MFA, MDes, DDes, or Ph.D.) in Graphic Design, or equivalent terminal degree in a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution or university with an award date by August 31, 2022.
- A commitment to teaching undergraduates of diverse backgrounds.
- The candidate will have experience and ability to teach: web and app design, advanced graphic design and typography.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- One or more years of professional practice and at least one year of college/university level teaching experience.
- An ongoing record of professional consulting and/or peer reviewed scholarship (publications and/or creative activities).
- The ability to teach design for mobile devices, user interface, user experience, prototyping and design and strategy for social media applications.
This is a full-time, 10 month, tenure track faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Monday, September 13, 2021 and ending Friday, September 24, 2021, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Tuesday, October 12, 2021
- SALARY: $70,000/year, may increase commensurate with experience
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: September 1, 2022
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans.
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link - http://www.farmingdale.edu/consumer-information
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
To apply, submit a letter of application (that includes a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology), c.v., copies of teaching evaluations, unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/or currently in process), names and contact information of three references. Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.URL: www.farmingdale.edu/employment