Associate Help Desk Specialist
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
Be the first point of contact for members of the BC Community seeking technology-related assistance! Successful candidate will have a logical and structured approach to troubleshooting and decision making with an emphasis on superior customer service. Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to relay technical information in understandable terms to end-users is essential. Ability to be proactive and patient resolving complex issues. Ability to multi-task and work under stress and time pressures is also important.
The Help Desk Specialist works as part of a team that provides technical support via phone, walk-in, web forms, and e-mail for supported applications and IT services. Activities include problem research, identification, resolution, follow-up, routing and escalation as required. Works in close cooperation with the Boston College user community and other support organizations on campus to resolve issues efficiently and effectively. Actively contributes to team by working collaboratively, identifying opportunities to improve customer satisfaction, and contributing to ITS knowledgebase.
This is a developmental position. Title and salary commensurate with relevant experience based on the following titles and hiring ranges:
Associate Help Desk Specialist - Minimum of six months of experience. Salary: 44k to 55k.
Help Desk Specialist - Minimum of two years of experience. Salary: 47k to 58k.
Senior Help Desk Specialist - Minimum of five years & experience mentoring and supervising student staff. salary: 51k to 64k.
Successful candidates must have: Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent education and experience or related technical certifications.
* Strong active listening, oral and written communication skills
* A firm understanding of Windows/ Mac OS and applications with a broad range of technical knowledge and creative troubleshooting skills
* Understanding of computer security best practices for protecting user information and data and experience with Antivirus software and other security procedures
* Experience with a problem tracking application
* Experience troubleshooting network connectivity and other data communications
* Configuration and support of E-mail clients, protocols and systems
* Experience configuring email/calendar and networking on mobile devices
* Knowledge of local and network printing
* Excellent customer service
* The position may also require additional duties as directed by ITS management
* Be able to work between the hours 8am - 6pm. This is a 37.5 hrs workweek
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts background checks including education, and verifies COVID-19 vaccination as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.