Zone Maintenance Trades Specialist I - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applications for a Zone Maintenance Trades Specialist I. Under the direction of the Operations Manager or Trades Specialist Lead, this position will perform various tasks in general construction and building maintenance type work.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Perform maintenance duties as related to carpentry, such as but not limited to, fabrication and repair of various casework and furniture; installation and repair of various floors and ceilings; installation and repair of various window coverings, doors, trim, locksets, and windows; installation of window AC units and ventilation fans.
- Install and repair drywall, insulation, trims and moldings.
- Fabricate, install, and maintain walls, concrete forms, ramps, scaffolding, all permanent or temporary shelters, wooden steps, work platforms, handrails, wheelchair ramps, barricades, ladders, shipping crates, pallets, etc.
- Perform electrical maintenance duties, including replacing light switches, ballasts, outlets, sockets and lamping.
- Complete plumbing tasks, such as but not limited to, repair and maintenance of faucets, opening plugged drains, replacing worn or damaged traps, tightening loose packing, repairing flush valves, replacing worn or damaged commode seats, etc.
- Work with mechanical equipment systems, performing tasks such as installing parts in mechanical apparatus, repairing condensing and chilled water pumps, and repairing air handling and cooling tower equipment.
- Perform general maintenance duties as related to HVAC, such as but not limited to, calibration and adjustment of temperature controls, changing of V-belts, and minor repairs to AC and HV units.
- Erect various working platforms to include, but not limited to, metal and aluminum pipe scaffolding, pick boards and work stages, ladder jacks, extension ladders, step ladders, etc.
- Request parts, supplies, etc. from Warehouse and Tool Crib ensuring timely delivery and sequencing to include operating a state vehicle.
The Division of Facilities and Services encompasses two units that are integral to the University's success. Our units employ talented and skilled workers whose jobs range from maintaining, protecting and improving the University's buildings and grounds. Facilities and Services takes care of every aspect of WVU so that its employees, students and guests are safe and satisfied on campus.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Pay Grade: 13, WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salaryQualifications
- High school diploma plus up to 18 months of technical or vocational training in any of the fields of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or general trades, or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- Two (2) years of general trades building maintenance experience in the areas of basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or other craft trades.
- Valid driver's license issued within the United States
- Physical demands include:
- Bending, stooping, crawling and climbing
- Lifting materials over 50 pounds
- Carrying equipment
- Utilizing various PPE
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Sep 9, 2021
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes