Electrical Technician-Engineering Lab Support
Kennesaw State University
IT Support and Training
Job ID: 233302
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties and entrepreneurial spirit draw students from throughout the region and from 126 countries across the globe. Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status. For more information, visit kennesaw.edu.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Responsible for preparing mechanical, civil or electronic lab components used in university engineering labs, makerspaces, design and engineering research spaces. Troubleshoots, maintains and repairs engineering lab equipment. Operates and/or supervises the operation of standard machines used in engineering labs within an undergraduate engineering program.
1. Maintains and repairs engineering lab equipment and maintains associated records
2. Prepares engineering lab equipment for engineering lab courses and purchases parts/components for machines or specimens
3. Assists students and faculty with fabrication of components, lab projects, student projects, test specimens and research parts
4. Maintains inventory and contributes to best safety practices ensuring students receive proper training and follow safe practices in accordance with appropriate standards
5. Completes periodic training courses and maintains knowledge and skill with changing technology for fabrication, maintenance and assembly
6. Provides guidance regarding safe equipment operation and implementation of laboratory procedures
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects and maintains electrical and computer engineering lab equipment to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Assists students and faculty with fabrication of electrical and computer engineering components, test specimens and parts and ensures students and graduate assistants follow safe practices and receive proper training.
- Prepares electrical and computer engineering lab equipment, electronic kits, for lab use
- Manages the Electrical Engineering Tech. shop, ordering, distributing and assembling electronic kits as needed
- Determines equipment supply quantities and ensures stock is available for instructional labs
- Prepares, operates and oversees operation of electrical machines/devices
- Recommends and specifies new electrical and computer engineering equipment or upgrades
Associates, technical, vocational or related degree/certificate from an accredited institution of higher education or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
Two years (2) of related work experience
Previous related industrial experience
Certificate in an engineering technology field
Previous experience working with customers and/or in higher education
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of appropriate safety standards
- Knowledge of basic programming and equipment related to assigned area
- Knowledge of engineering materials and proper specifications for components
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the department (ex. Microsoft Office suite, CAD/CAM software)
- Strong attention to detail and follow-up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge regarding the principles of electrical and electronic theory, electrical and computer engineering methods and procedures.
- Basic understanding of electronic and computer components and terms (ex. capacitors, diodes, circuit boards, frequency, CPU, expansion slot etc.)
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment used in the maintenance of electronic and electrical equipment (ex. PCB printing, Pick-in-place, etc.).
- Knowledge of methods employed in the design and repair of electrical and computer laboratory and testing devices.
- Knowledge of ordering electronic and/or computer equipment and components parts or the ability to quickly learn how to use purchasing software.
- Extensive knowledge of appropriate electrical and computer safety standards.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is not considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position will not travel
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education + Drug Screening
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=233302&PostingSeq=1