Provide Rank: Assistant/Associate
Position Number: 013051
Department: Family & Child Studies - 260800
- Qualifications required are an earned Ph.D. or Ed.D in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, or a closely related field. Candidates who are ABD will be considered. The doctoral degree must be completed by October 1, 2021.
- The candidate's academic concentration, research, and/or professional experience demonstrate a focus on prenatal to three years old and the Reggio Emilia Approach.
- The candidate can demonstrate a record of high-quality teaching.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a sincere commitment to promoting advocacy, diversity, equity, inclusiveness, and social justice, as evidenced by prior efforts.
- The candidate possesses strong interpersonal, collaborative, and communication skills.
- The candidate has experience in online teaching.
- The candidate's academic concentration, research, and/or professional experience demonstrates a focus on Early Childhood Learning, Environments, Early Childhood Mental Health, or Diversity and Social Justice in Early Childhood.
- Knowledge and experience in Inclusive Excellence in higher education settings.
- Experience teaching young children and supporting English Language Learners.
- Experience with laboratory early care and education programs.
Eligible for North Carolina Birth-Kindergarten Teaching License
Description of the Department or Unit
The Department of Family and Child Studies prepares students in the areas of Child Development and Birth through Kindergarten teacher education. There are currently seven full-time faculty. The program serves over one hundred twenty students in our undergraduate and graduate certificate main campus and online programs majors in Child Development and Birth through Kindergarten. The program also consists of the Lucy Brock Child Development Laboratory School, a Reggio-inspired program, which serves approximately ninety-four children and their families in three on-campus classrooms and three NC PreK classrooms in the public schools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and teaching face-to-face and online undergraduate and graduate courses in Child Development, Child Guidance, Preschool Curriculum and/or Infant-Toddler Curriculum, Authentic Assessment, and supervision of field experiences.
- Teaching evening courses.
- Opportunity to teach summer courses.
- Engagement in service both within and outside the University.
- Engagement in scholarly activity, including publications, and grant acquisition.
- Advising undergraduate and graduate students.
- Student and Faculty recruitment.
Appointment Type: 1.0
Number Of Months Per Year: 9
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of classroom and educational environments in a professional position at a university.
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Proposed Date of Hire: 08/15/2022
Suggested Salary Range: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For a complete application, please apply and submit all below-required documents electronically through Appalachian State University's Job Board:
- Cover Letter
- List of three (minimum) professional references with Contact Information
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Diversity Statement
- Statement of Research Interest
Please note this position is based on enrollment and subject to available funding.
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Posting Date: 09/03/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/ EEO Officer
Director of Title IX Compliance/Title IX Coordinator
ADA/504 Coordinator & Office of Disability Resources Director
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Search Chair Name
Dionne Sills Busio
Search Chair Email