Director of First-Year Recruitment
Faculty Rank: No
Provide Rank: N/A
Position Number: 063001
Department: Admissions - 240300
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree with a major in college student personnel, public administration, general business, or related field.
- At least three years of experience in student admissions, student recruitment, or related area in a post-secondary institution, including two years in a leadership capacity supervising professional staff.
- 1-2 years demonstrated experience in program development.
- Good knowledge of techniques and procedures used in program development (e.g. planning, coordinating, administrating, record-keeping).
- Demonstrated experience and ability to supervise others in program initiation, administration, evaluation, and leadership.
- Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these basic requirements.
Valid driver's license and ability to rent a vehicle.
Experience in CRM systems is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of First-Year Recruitment is a twelve-month exempt ( EHRA) position that leads the planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating of all first-year student recruitment operations for the Office of Admissions. The Director of First-Year Recruitment works under the general direction of the Senior Director of Admissions and is responsible for the creation, design, and implementation of policies, processes, and procedures for the recruitment of new first-year students. Responsible for oversight and leadership of recruitment communications, marketing, and the development and maintenance of all recruiting publications, in conjunction with the University Communications and Marketing office. Responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing the office's outreach efforts. Oversees and supervises all elements of the campus visitation program and all recruiting events and programs - on and off-campus. Responsible for maintaining effective communication and liaison with all campus entities - including staff, faculty, students, and the general public - concerning new first-year student recruitment. This position works as a team with the processing unit and with the programmer/analyst to ensure seamless communication flow and necessary follow-up and outreach to prospective students from initial contact through application for admission.
This position manages and oversees all recruiting operations of the Office of Admissions by:
- Leading, monitoring, and coordinating all activities of the Recruitment unit.
- Developing and monitoring comprehensive territory management plan.
- Designing and implementing data analysis strategy to track recruitment activities and establish predictive models.
- Establishing relationships with high school and community college counselors to promote the institution.
- Ensuring that the Office of Admissions provides for each visiting prospective student a high quality, positive and energetic campus visitation experience that is tailored to each student's needs and gives them the kind of experience that encourages their application for admission and ultimate decision to enroll at the Appalachian State University.
- Acting as liaison and point of contact and coordinating, as necessary, with colleges, departments, and Distance Education Office and Centers for all undergraduate recruiting activities and operations.
- Representing the Office of Admissions to prospective students, their parents, and alumni while promoting higher education and the recruitment of quality students to the university.
- Overseeing and leading recruitment communications and marketing planning, to include developing and editing all required printed recruitment materials and documents, in conjunction with the Sr. Director, Director of EM Communication, and University Communications and Marketing staff.
- Communicating effectively with various university constituencies.
- Assisting and leading efforts of the Office of Admissions with key campus offices (specifically Registrar, Office of Transfer Admissions and Engagement, Orientation, Student Development, Housing, and other key campus partners) to facilitate a seamless suite of services and emphases as students move through the recruitment cycle from the point of application to the point of commitment to the university and enrollment.
- Working with Director of EM CRM and Director of EM Communication to ensure that key recruiting campaigns within the Customer Relationship Management ( CRM) system are properly developed and implemented.
- Working cooperatively and leading the coordination effort with the colleges and academic departments to promote and implement strategic university enrollment management goals.
- Assisting the Sr. Director with creation, coordination, and synchronization, and evaluation of a strategic recruiting plan to recruit a diverse, high-ability student population.
- Planning, assigning, directing, and evaluating the work of all recruiters, visitation coordinator, and student employees, ensuring that quality work is accomplished within budget.
- Interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising a superior campus visitation program executed by highly professional campus visitation staff.
- Providing leadership and setting a high standard of professionalism for the Office of Admissions by providing high-quality customer service not only to students and the general public but also to divisional and university staff.
- Assisting the Sr. Director in maintaining a positive, efficient, and productive work environment in the Office of Admissions.
- Serving as a key member of the office leadership team.
- Working with the Sr. Director to ensure professional development of staff.
- Working to promote good relationships with the University, with all University partners, and University constituents.
- Acting on behalf of the Sr. Director in her/his absence.
Type of Position: Full Time Position
Appointment Type: 1.0
Mon.-Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (occasional weekend and evening hours)
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: No
Suggested Salary Range: Commensurate with experience.
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position within a university including, ability to lift and move 40 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Posting Date: 09/02/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 11/01/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
For a complete application, please apply and submit all below, required documents electronically through Appalachian State University's Job Board:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information of 3 professional references
Search Chair Email
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/ EEO Officer
Director of Title IX Compliance/Title IX Coordinator
ADA/504 Coordinator & Office of Disability Resources Director
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Quick Link