College Accountant - Business Manager Potsdam College Foundation
Job Summary/Basic Function:
SUNY Potsdam is accepting applications for a Business Manager for the Potsdam College Foundation. The position has primary management and oversight responsibility for all aspects of accounting for the Potsdam College Foundation, including accounts receivable/payable, financial reporting, regulatory compliance, budget planning and monitoring, investment strategy, and endowed fund management.
A Bachelor's degree and 3 to 5 years successful experience in complex finance and/or accounting management is required.
The ideal candidate should have a knowledge of IRS and State of NY rules and regulations regarding charitable giving and extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel at an intermediate level and have experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) or other financial accounting systems.
Experience in a non-profit and/or higher education environment and knowledge of fund accounting is highly desirable.
Candidates who have engaged in professional development activities to enhance knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion and have worked collaboratively across various departments in fostering success of underrepresented groups and a supportive and inclusive environment for all are encouraged to apply.
Job Requirements & Essential Functions of the Job:
The Business Manager has primary management and oversight responsibility for all aspects of accounting for the Potsdam College Foundation, including:
- acceptance, receipt, disbursement, investment, and custody for all funds and property that flow through the Foundation;
- supervision of bookkeeping staff;
- conducting on-going accounting activities (reconciliation of bank and investment accounts, journal entries, calculation of endowment projections, processing of stock transfers, reports to administration and academic departments, etc.);
- maintenance of accurate records of the Foundation's financial activity including the preparation of reports (monthly financial reports, quarterly investment reports, year-end reports, custom reports as needed);
- preparation of any Foundation financial-related reports or filings as required by the SUNY System or other university regulatory processes, and the preparing of materials for the Foundation's annual audit;
- oversight of federal and state tax compliance, including preparing any required documents such as the IRS 990, state charitable filings, management of 1099's, etc.;
- creation and monitoring of procedures that define effective and efficient workflow among the Foundation, the College, and the College's auxiliary services (PACES);
- monitoring of the investment portfolio to ensure endowment growth and return as per the directives of the Investment and Finance Committee of the Foundation;
- in cooperation with the Vice President, the development and monitoring of the Foundation's overall budget, as well as the various program budgets of the Advancement division;
- development and execution of financial systems and procedures including serving as the liaison to Foundation Audit and Investment committees;
- recommendation for execution by the Vice President of investment and financial services, vendor agreements, service agreements, etc.;
- participation in annual Board of Trustees meetings, committee meetings, and any other campus meetings related to the financial or fundraising activities of the Foundation and/or College Advancement;
- leading training programs and advising on Foundation account matters to Board members, Advancement colleagues, faculty and staff, and
- oversight of Foundation and financial risk management and insurance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please upload a document with contact information for three professional references.
Local Title if different: Foundation Business Manager