The purpose of this position is to provide faculty and staff with support services in technology which focuses on effective practices in online teaching and facilitate learners in gaining knowledge, skills and competencies focuses on distance education.
Incumbents plan, design, and build online courses and provide support for faculty members to build online courses. Major duties and responsibilities include: reviewing, evaluating, and implementing materials to design and create effective instructional solutions for various courses; collaborating with subject matter experts to determine the design and delivery of online classes; assisting faculty to design multimedia presentations and implement publisher multimedia content; and creating, updating, and maintaining faculty support and training materials on instruction design, tools, and content management systems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate effectively in visual, oral and written form.
- Create messages that accommodate learner needs and characteristics, content, and objectives.
- Write and edit text to produce messages that are clear, concise, and grammatically correct.
- Apply principles of message design to page layout and screen design.
- Create or select visuals that instruct, orient, or motivate.
- Deliver presentations that effectively engage and communicate.
- Use active listening skills in all situations.
- Present and receive information in a manner that is appropriate for the tasks of the group or team.
- Seek and share information and ideas among individuals with diverse backgrounds and roles.
- Facilitate meetings effectively.
- Apply current research and theory to the practice of instructional design.
- Update and improve one’s knowledge, skills and attitudes pertaining to instructional design and related fields.
- Apply fundamental research skills to instructional design projects.
- Identify and resolve ethical and legal implications of design in the work place.
- Conduct needs assessments.
- Design a curriculum or program.
- Select and use a variety of techniques for determining instructional content.
- Identify and describe target population characteristics.
- Analyze the characteristics of the environment.
- Analyze the characteristics of existing and emerging technologies and their use in an instructional environment.
- Reflect upon the elements of a situation before finalizing design solutions and strategies.
- Select, modify, or create a design and development model appropriate for a given project.
- Select and use a variety of techniques to define and sequence the instructional content and strategies.
- Select or modify existing instructional materials.
- Develop instructional materials.
- Design instruction that reflects an understanding of the diversity of learners and groups of learners.
- Evaluate and assess instruction and its impact.
- Plan and manage instructional design projects.
- Promote collaboration, partnerships and relationships among the participants in a design project.
- Apply business skills to managing instructional design.
- Design instructional management systems.
- Provide for the effective implementation of instructional products and programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Instruction.
- Experience using Canvas or other learning management systems.
- Trained and certified in Quality Matters in order to apply the QM rubric to course design or redesign.
- Experience working with or teaching at a college/university level, including experience with multiple modes such as in-person, hybrid or fully online.
Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Technology, Educational Technology or related major.
Three years of current related work experience in multimedia, software applications, and instructional design. Quality Matters training.
Skills & Abilities:
Working knowledge of current application software. Proficient in at instructional design principles.
Regular office hours are Monday through Thursday 8am-5pm and Friday 8am-noon. Summer hours will be 7:30am-5:30pm Monday through Thursday. Subject to criminal background check. Resume, cover letter, & unofficial transcripts required in addition to application.
Subject to criminal background check. Resume and Cover Letter is required in addition to application. Salary is $48,752.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 09/23/2021