Coordinator Of Veteran Services
The Coordinator of Veteran Services evaluates and processes Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of Veterans Affairs/Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, verifies student benefit eligibility, helps students through the benefit application process, updates benefit information on a continuous basis in DOD/VA and/or University systems, runs and review queries to monitor student academic progress noting any concerns, ensures the school maintains compliance with all VA/DOD, federal and state policies as they relate to military educational benefits, keeps supervisor and appropriate staff informed of any pertinent changes to related military education policies, codes students and builds contracts according to their respective benefit programs, assists with recruiting veterans for all university programs, maintains recruiting relationships with organizations that serve veterans, and coordinates with the university bookstore regarding payment processing as it relates to military education programs. This position serves the university's veterans, active duty personnel, and dependents of veterans/active duty personnel at all campus locations and reports to the Dean for Professional Studies.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Reflect, articulate, and promote the mission, vision, and identity of the University
- Serve as the School Certifying Official (SCO) by processing VA benefit certifications through the appropriate systems
- Serve as the internal student advocate for the university's veteran services and resources
- Verify student benefit eligibility, ensuring that the university maintains compliance with all related federal, state, and/or university policies
- Actively recruit veterans to the university and represents the university to external publics on matters pertaining to veterans and VA benefits-eligible students.
- Provide effective and reliable constituent service by having a thorough understanding of applicable academic regulations, rules, laws, policies, and procedures related to Veterans Services functions and applying that knowledge to providing accurate information, problem solving, and information processing
- Answer correctly questions regarding the admissions process, graduation process, overall VA/military benefits process, the VA Work Study process, and transfer credit process.
- Monitor VA and University systems to ensure accurate and up-to-date records, terminating records as appropriate, noting all graduations and changes in student status, informing supervisors of any issue with student VA records, and coordinating appropriate support for students by working with the Dean of Academic Records/Registrar, Veterans Student Services, VA Education, VA debt management, and VA Vocational Readiness and Employment (VR&E; formerly Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment)
- Coordinate VA/military benefit programs with Financial Aid, Financial Services, the University Bookstore, Campus Safety, and other University offices as appropriate and ensures timely payments are being made to the University and its entities in a manner prescribed by VA and school policy
- Assist with all matters related to Go Army Ed and other military tuition assistance programs and guides students through the tuition assistance process
- Facilitate the enrollment process by providing information about changes of schedules, withdrawals, refunds, grading policies and procedures, deadlines, cancellation and rebuilding of schedules, grade appeals, transfer evaluations, encumbrances, academic advisement, prerequisites, drops, deleted sections, permissions, overloads, special courses, etc. to the Veterans Services student population in a timely manner
- Provide administrative support services, including but not limited to, filing, maintaining and purging VA/military benefit student records in accordance with DOD/VA and/or university policies
- Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, attending training and/or courses as required by the DOD/VA or supervisors and updating the supervisor and other staff of any changes in the VA/military benefit certification processes
- Maintain confidentiality of employee and student records in compliance with FERPA, HIPAA, and other federal, state, and local regulations
- Assist with preparations for and participate in all University Tier One Events (e.g. Welcome Weekend, Convocation, Commencement, etc.) as required
- Identify risks to the organization and discuss mitigation options with immediate supervisor.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Perform related duties as assigned by the School for Professional Studies.
- A bachelor's degree is strongly preferred, but applicants with a high school diploma and appropriate experience will be considered.
- A minimum of five years of work experience developing and implementing solutions with a focus on supporting and advising operational strategic planning and project management.
- Veteran status or experience in Veterans Service office at an institution for higher learning is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of toher cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Commitment to Vanguard University's mission, vision, and institutional core values; affirms and supports the Assemblies of God Statement of Fundamental Truths and Core Doctrine.
- Ability to coordinate with numerous departments within an organization.
- Ability to understand the organization's strategies and translate into programs which support operational strategic initiatives.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports.
- Comfort, confidence, and proven success managing change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as lead multiple project teams.
- Exceptional ability to build relationships with employees at all levels of the organization and perform in a broad range of environments including academic and operations.
- Strong analytical, organizational, planning and problem solving skills with ability to prioritize drive and complete multiple projects under stringent deadlines, and respond to changing priorities.
- An excellent problem solver, able to take disparate sets of quantitative and qualitative data and drive to innovative solutions.
- An attitude of optimism, collegiality, curiosity, and humility.
Part-time, benefitted, non-exempt position: 30 hours per week. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Applicant should submit a completed VUSC Application for Staff Employment and current resume. All applications/resumes/materials must be submitted electronically via e-mail to: RESUME@vanguard.edu . We are located at: Vanguard University of Southern California, 55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Applications will be received until position is filled or until a sufficient number of applications are received.