Associate Dean for the College of Engineering
Department: College of Engineering
Applications are being accepted for the position of Associate Dean in the College of Engineering at The University of Texas Permian Basin. The Associate Dean is a 12-month appointment
REPORTS TO: Dean of the College of Engineering
The Associate Dean is responsible for assisting in the leadership and management of the College, including working with the Dean to supervise academic units, faculty, and staff; providing oversight of all academic programs, research institute and centers, graduate and certificate programs, and K-12 outreach programs; and managing accreditation. The successful candidate will be a forward thinking and dynamic leader with a distinguished record of accomplishment in research, teaching, and engagement.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Assist in developing and executing recruitment, retention, and graduation initiatives.
2. Enrollment management; promote faculty and student scholarly activities to enhance research productivity and extramural funding in the college.
3. Facilitate faculty professional development.
4. Work with academic units in creating semester course schedules, accreditation and undergraduate curriculum program review, and academic student affairs
5. Work closely with the Dean in developing new programs.
6. Provide oversight for all academic and extracurricular programs within the College of Engineering
7. Oversee academic misconduct and grade appeals. The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to teach and supervise graduate students.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job.
8. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Engineering.
A single pdf file with the application and support material should be submitted. Support material consists of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching and research interests, and complete contact information for at least three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The start date is fall 2021 or thereafter. More information about the College of Engineering can be found at: https://www.utpb.edu/engineering/index. Questions regarding the search may be addressed to Mindy Rogers at email@example.com.
Finalists for the position will be required to submit a brief grant proposal to the University of Texas STARs grant program which may provide the successful applicant substantial research start-up funding. More information about the STARs program can be found at: https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/academic-affairs/stars-program
The University is located in West Texas in the heart of the Permian Basin, one of the most important petroleum-producing regions in the world. Faculty often have the opportunity to collaborate with oil and chemical companies on student projects directed at problems related to oil production and its associated processing industries. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
2. The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
3. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
4. EOE, including disability/vets.
5. UTPB participates in e-Verify.
1. Ph.D. in any of these engineering disciplines (chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical, and petroleum engineering) from an accredited institution.
2. Must be eligible for tenure at the rank of full professor in the College of Engineering.
3. A minimum of seven years of faculty experience with at least two of the seven years in an academic administrative role
4. Significant experience in research and teaching; a record of sustainable research productivity.
5. Experience in program development and collaborative work.
6. The successful candidate must be creative and dynamic, able to work effectively with faculty, administrators, students and external constituencies
7. Has a commitment to inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, shared governance, and is receptive to organizational change/transformation.
8. A demonstrated ability and experience in administration or management is highly desirable.
Proven experience in progressive accomplishments in academic leadership, commitment to research, undergraduate student success, advancing creativity and knowledge, serving the region, and fostering a collaborative culture is preferred.
Posting Number: F135P
Open Until Filled: Yes