Assistant Professor of Counseling
Department: College of Education
The University of Texas Permian Basin welcomes applicants for an assistant professor in the College of Education. This position will be responsible for teaching, advising, and supervising students of the University's dual-track Master's program, as well as conducting and publishing scholarly research and providing service to the University and profession. Potential course assignments may include lifespan and human development, basic and advanced counseling skills, group counseling, practicum and/or internship, and other graduate-level courses.
The list of responsibilities for this position is divided into several categories:
- Teaching: includes the preparation of course syllabi and classes, the preparation and grading of examinations, teaching face-to-face and online courses and other technology-based instruction as needed to meet enrollment goals
- Post and observe on campus office hours for purposes of student consultation. Meet with students as needed by appointment
- Teaching load: four three-credit hour courses in each of the fall and spring semesters
- Participation in activities (usually through committee work) designed to advance the mission and quality of the University, School, and Departmental programs.. Assignments to routine committee work will be made in consideration of other demands placed on the faculty member by the University
- Attendance is expected at Department, College and general University meetings
Professional Growth and Development:
- Maintain a program of personal and professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge and competence in the appropriate academic disciplines.
- Research, publication, and professional activity within one's field of specialization or otherwise directed towards the University's mission
- Additional duties as assigned by the Provost and/or the College Dean
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
UTPB participates in e-Verify.
- A doctoral degree in counselor education and supervision from a CACREP accredited university; ABDs will be considered if completing their dissertation within 6 months of appointment
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as a Professional Counselor and/or certification as a Professional School Counselor with three (3) years of counseling experience in U.S. public schools
- Direct experience working with students from culturally diverse backgrounds
- A willingness to participate in innovative counselor education projects
- A willingness to work as a team player focused on supporting new initiatives and partnerships in the College of Education and the surrounding community
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and community members, including under-served populations and first-generation students and families
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills with an appropriate understanding of the needs of the audience and appropriate professionalism
- Potential for obtaining external funding
- Interest in the professional and personal growth of students
- A genuine spirit of study necessary to maintain currency in one's academic field
- Desire to contribute to a high-performing faculty and staff
All UTPB employees must pass a criminal background check.
In addition to the required qualifications, the following qualifications would strengthen a candidate's application for this position:
- Specialization in Clinical Mental Health or School Counseling
- College level teaching experience
- Experience supervising master's level counseling students
- Ability to teach via traditional and alternative delivery methods
- Demonstrated record of obtaining external funding
- Demonstrated experience in innovation within the field of counseling including the use of evidence-based practices and innovative technology
Posting Number: F111P
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must submit a UTPB electronic application in order to be considered.
Please include all required documents with your submission.
Unofficial transcripts of all college work are acceptable for purposes of the application. Official transcripts are required upon hire.
Job posted date: 12/10/2020.