Associate Strategy & Corporate Development Manager
Job Number: JR-008372
Location: Home Office
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
***Internals are asked to apply by Monday, Sept 27th***
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Delivers assigned small projects or sub-projects under the direction of others (90%):
- Partners with initiative leaders to define each project's vision and objectives
- Promotes a clear understanding-among all stakeholders-of the vision, objectives, and strategy of a project through relentless prioritization of milestones/tasks and management of expectations around project scope, schedule, and budget
- Works to complete tasks individually or collaboratively-as defined by the needs of the task-to reach project milestones within scope, on schedule, and on budget.
- Prepares and delivers clear, concise presentations and communications for multiple audiences including the executive team, Board of Trustees, and external partners.
- Builds business plans from ideation and concept to financial modeling, business model, go-to-market strategy, talent plan, etc.
- Supports designs and executes on the funding/capital strategy for assigned projects.
Explores new opportunities (10%):
- Researches and articulates the strategic rationale and risk/return characteristics of investment opportunities (M&A, strategic investments, corporate-level partnerships, the launch of internal start-ups).
- Sources ideas and perform opportunity assessment including financial modeling and analysis, market research, market sizing, etc.
- Builds a professional network of internal and external contacts to keep abreast of opportunities, emerging business models, and industry trends.
- Prepares and delivers clear, concise presentations and internal memos for the executive team, Board of Directors, and external partners.
- Works collaboratively across functions (technology, legal, finance, communications, tax, brands, sales) to support various phases of M&A projects including supporting valuations, financial structuring, and due diligence.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Strong financial analysis skills including building financial models.
- Basic quantitative research skills (i.e. demonstrated proficiency in data analysis/visualization and statistical techniques and tools such as SPSS, SAS, SQL, R, Stata, Matlab, relational databases, Excel, Cognos, Tableau).
- Basic qualitative research skills in one or more methodologies (i.e. literature review, ethnography, focus groups, survey, content analysis, in-depth interviews, case study, etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to master new software quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage collaborative relationships with team members, subject matter experts, senior leaders, trustees, and external organizations with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Ability to use data to tell emotionally and analytically compelling stories through oral and written communications to audiences of all sizes and types.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to quickly assess and comprehend the shifting landscape of learning, higher education, talent, and workforce development.
- Some knowledge of higher education practices and structure including research, teaching, learning experience design, university governance, faculty hiring, and promotion, etc.
- Some knowledge of product management, project management, and agile scrum methodologies preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience in a finance, research, strategic consulting, general management, corporate strategy, innovation, corporate development, venture capital, private equity or investment banking role.
- Experience presenting to and interacting with audiences at all levels, especially senior executives.
- Master's degree in a relevant field strongly preferred
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience working in large complex organizations as well as startups
- Demonstrated global experience and perspective strongly preferred
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.