Dean, School of Health Sciences
Job Title: Dean, School of Health Sciences
Reporting Relationship: University Provost
Unit: National & Global
Department: School of Health Science
Campus Location: Ott Hall of Sciences & NursingSummary of Position: IWU is searching for a strategic leader who is excited about the future of health science education and is willing to explore new ways of serving students and faculty. Working collaboratively with faculty and administration, the dean will chart a course for the School of Health Science as it seeks to grow its student body and expand its global reach. The dean will also foster a culture of research and learning that will enable faculty to pursue their passions and bring recognition to the university as a leader in health science.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Champions the mission and values of Indiana Wesleyan University to faculty, staff, students, and the community at large
- Provides future-oriented academic leadership of faculty, staff, and students in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment
- Identifies new areas and modalities for program development and innovation
- Leads the faculty and operational team in strategic planning and monitors the process to further the program mission in teaching, research, service, and patient care
- Serves as an ambassador to the medical community and state and national health science professions, as well as appropriate professional meetings
- Provides direct oversight for all academic and administrative matters concerning the development of the Health Science programs and budget
- Supervises the process of seeking, achieving, and maintaining all necessary accreditation
- Utilizes analytics to make data driven decisions
- Ensures that the Health Science faculty is involved with research and scholarly activity
- Guides the assessment of curricula and the utilization of data to improve instructional quality and institutional effectiveness
- Assists the University Relations staff with external funding and fund-raising
- Evaluates annually the effectiveness of the Health Science program to make improvements in faculty, facilities, and curriculum
- Develops collaborative relationships with educational and health care institutions, clinics, and professionals
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: According to Indiana Wesleyan University employment policy all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited program
- Proven record of leadership and achievement
- Demonstrates a mature personal faith in Jesus Christ and willingly embraces the theological and lifestyle commitments of The Wesleyan Church
- Exercises mature spiritual leadership in all aspects of the development and administration of the IWU Health Science program
- Capable of providing the vision, knowledge, expertise, and creativity to launch Health Science programs that will become recognized centers of excellence for the professions
- Stays abreast of educational innovations in the health science profession and the larger higher education profession
- Possesses the interpersonal qualities and skills to work effectively as a member of the Indiana Wesleyan University academic team
- Able to promote and uphold the highest ethical and moral standards in personal and professional conduct
- Capable of inspiring a shared vision for the Health Science program among internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled at completing multiple assignments, meeting deadlines, and exercising sound judgment
- Demonstrates the ability to make well-informed decisions, solve problems and coordinate a broad range and volume of activity under a variety of conditions and constraints
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of computer programs related to office communication, databases, spreadsheets, etc.
- Highly organized and able to attend to detail
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
As a religious educational institution operating under the auspices of The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (42 U.S.C., Sections 2000e-1 and 2000e-2).
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.