You must meet one of the following education and experience:
An Associate Degree and 5 years of experience supporting Linux/UNIX systems
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience supporting Linux/UNIX systems
In addition to meeting one of the above-required education and years of experience, you must meet the following requirements:
- A thorough understanding of core network protocols (DNS, HTTP, etc)
- Proficiency in Scripting in Bash, Python, Perl, or similar
- Customer-focused communication skills appropriate for Carleton’s diverse student body, faculty, and staff
- Self-direction and project execution in a small, flat team environment
- Ability to solve problems both independently and in a team environment
- Serve as the Linux expert within the system administration team
- Install, configure, secure, and maintain a wide variety of Linux servers and applications
- Work closely with others in IT to ensure effective data security, business continuity, and performance; partner with the rest of the system administration team to manage our enterprise storage and backup systems.
- Provide strategic long-term thinking around the Linux environment, its sustainability, and maintainability.
- Stay abreast of new technologies to support Carleton’s Linux environment.
- Provide advanced assistance and support to the helpdesk and end-users as needed
- Collaborate with system and network administrators at our partner college, St Olaf, to forge a shared storage and virtualization infrastructure