Criminal Justice Full Time Faculty Member
Job Title: Criminal Justice Full Time Faculty Member
FSLA status: Exempt
Department: School of Criminal Justice
Division: Academic Affairs
Job Grade: 11
Reports to: Dean
Pay schedule: Monthly
Job Title: Safety Sensitive position:
Hiring Salary: $54,000
Position Type: Full Time
Search Committee Required: Yes
Background Check Required: Yes
COMMITMENT TO MISSION:
This job carries the obligation to uphold the Mission of Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect, and accountability to PTC students and employees is essential.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Pittsburgh Technical College is looking for an experienced individual to teach coursework in the School of Criminal Justice as a primary job function. This faculty position will focus on teaching courses for campus and online delivery, developing curriculum, and supporting students to prepare them for employment in the Criminal Justice field. A background and experience in law enforcement, security, or public safety issues are beneficial to the position. Faculty frequently serve as a liaison with all other offices, i.e., Admissions, Career Services, Financial Aid, Student Services. These offices will periodically communicate with students through instructors or through the Student Advisors. And work effectively as a team member to support the Pittsburgh Technical College mission.
ATTRIBUTES AND COMPETENCIES: (These are the competencies determined by hiring manager and search committee)
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Master's in field
PREFERRED EDUCATION: PhD in field
REQUIRED TRAINING OR CERTIFICATIONS: NA
Four years' full-time work experience in the criminal justice field. Three years post-secondary teaching experience including online or at least six years’ part time experience as an adjunct or industry training and development practitioner.
Must have education and work experience to demonstrate competency to teach coursework in the following areas for Associate Degree level programs:
- Law Enforcement
- Public Security
- Loss Prevention
- Homeland Security
- Online teaching experience
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Assist in associate degree curriculums and provide training and student support resulting in graduates who meet entry and mid-level employment criteria for positions in the Criminal Justice fields.
- Teach up to 5 class sections with 1 – 3 preparations per week.
- Perform effectively in the learning environment by being prepared, maintaining discipline, and engaging students in the learning process.
- Address student academic issues such as student attendance, student persistence, and/or tutoring needs.
- Work in conjunction with student advisors, team leaders, and academic chairs to resolve students’ nonacademic issues.
- Grade student assessments within a week (or 72 hours for online courses) and record attendance, grades, and information regarding student progress in the Student Information System (SIS).
- Use Blackboard to provide course/supplemental materials and communicate with students using course announcements, discussion boards, and/or collaborate sessions.
- Serve as a role model for the students by demonstrating an excellent work ethic, portraying professionalism, including dress; and providing motivation for industry success.
- Stay current on industry, market, research, and competitive trends.
- Participate in some form of approved professional development each year as discussed and agreed upon with your Academic Leader at a minimum of 8 hours per year utilizing the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning resources and/or outside resources.
Curriculum & Assessment
- Deliver program curriculum by creating and following weekly lesson plans.
- Refresh courses by using new teaching strategies and/or revamping course materials.
- Work in conjunction with the Curriculum and Assessment Coordinator and Academic Chair on course revision, curriculum mapping, and outcomes assessment.
- Maintain current curriculum on departmental network drives in an organized manner.
- Document efforts to improve student learning based on assessment results and other institutional assessment reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT: (These should be tied to the KSA’s)
A hybrid work schedule will accommodate the on-campus teaching hours, committee work, and special projects, along with off-campus teaching hours, grading, and other work that is better done in a quiet and private environment. The fluctuation of on-campus and off-campus hours will be scheduled across the week and may include full or split days of on/off campus hours. The faculty will coordinate their on/off campus schedule with their academic leader at the beginning of each quarter.
- Equipment used includes desktop or laptop with Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone, and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work generally performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Must be able to perform the essential job functions.
Position salary range $3,045 - $5,350 per month
OTHER JOB INFORMATION:
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT:
PTC is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all positions. PTC believes that the gathering and celebration of unique experiences, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace. Our mission is to champion a community of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in a spirit of civility.
To learn more about DEI’s mission, vision, and values, Visit the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion webpage
DISABILITY ACCOMODATION STATEMENT:
Pittsburgh Technical College (PTC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process.
If you need an accommodation due to a disability to use our online system to apply for a position at PTC, please give us a call at 412-809-5100 or email email@example.com