Job Number: JR-008275
Location: Salt Lake City Office
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Internal Posting Close Date: 9/9/2021
Job Profile Summary:
Prepares accounting information to assist in producing financial statements, reports, and information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in accordance with the mission, core values and purposes of the University.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Records entries to the general ledger for daily bank activity.
- May assist with preparing and recording investment entries to the general ledger.
- Prepares and enters general ledger entries for monthly and fiscal year close.
- Balances and reconciles accounts to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Analyzes account activity.
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions, resolving discrepancies.
- Internal controls review for effective and efficient operations.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Provides technical advice and service to staff regarding accounting matters.
- Researches, analyzes and uses independent judgment in a variety of daily and non-routine decisions.
- Prepares and assists in preparation of financial reports for planning and analysis purposes.
- Assist with audit preparation and execution.
- Maintain accurate and up to date accounting documents and records.
- Back up for other accounting staff positions.
- Assist with any special projects, reports, or operational targets, as needed, for Accounting Manager, Controller or VP of Accounting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of accounting theory, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to develop accounting procedures and to monitor compliance with existing ones.
- Highly detail oriented and organized.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and working with data and systems.
- Create and implement initiatives.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal direction from manager.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Works well in teams, cooperates using individual skills and provides constructive feedback.
- Provides solutions to difficult or complex issues.
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within the department, function, or office.
- Performs work as directed with limited oversight.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Is responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees in the department, Function, or Office. Responsible for managing projects involving delegation of work and review of others' work products.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in Finance or Accounting or business related field.
- 3-5 years of work experience in an accounting department.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.