Dean of Business, Leadership & Technology
Department – School of Business, Leadership, and Technology
Supervisor – Vice President for Academic Affairs
Benefits – Yes
Status – Full-time
The Dean of Business, Leadership & Technology reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and supervises academic affairs within the SBLT relating to the development, implementation, and evaluative review of the curriculum and to the recruitment, orientation, support, and evaluation of departmental faculty and staff.
The Dean identifies and cultivates key external relationships in the local business community and beyond to create effective partnerships and networks. The Dean collaborates with the Dean of Admissions in student recruitment efforts and leads retention initiatives for all programs in the department (including Daytime UG, Online/Evening UG, MBA, MAL).
As time permits and in consultation with the VPAA, the Dean may carry a teaching load of up to 12 credits per academic year. The Dean serves in an entrepreneurial role in assisting the VPAA to identify, research, and develop opportunities for strategic and sustainable enrollment growth and program development, both for new and existing programs. The Dean is a member of the VPAA’s Dean’s Cabinet.
Successful performance in this position will be evaluated in terms of 1) innovative leadership for the department; 2) significant and sustainable enrollment growth in departmental programs; 3) enhanced departmental and university standing within the local business community and beyond.Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for the faculty and staff of the School of Business, Leadership, and Technology.
- Identify strategic enrollment growth opportunities for program development, both for new and existing programs.
- Develop and implement an on-going enrollment management plan for the Department of Business that effectively addresses both increased student recruitment and increased student retention.
- Collaborate with program faculty to ensure program quality and effectiveness and to promote student learning, student satisfaction, and student retention in all student populations.
- Recruit, equip, mentor, and supervise all departmental faculty and staff (including adjunct instructors).
- Collaborate with the Bushnell Instructional Technologist to ensure effective use of BeaconLearning and online resources for all departmental programs and courses.
- Ensure academic excellence and the integration of faith and learning in all SBLT programs.
- Ensure mentorship opportunities for students in all SBLT programs.
- Serve as Accreditation Liaison Officer for IACBE and ensure departmental compliance with all accreditation standards, as well as successful accreditation reviews.
- Prepare and manage departmental budgets.
- Teach up to 12 credits per year in departmental course offerings, as other responsibilities allow opportunity and as agreed with the VPAA.
- Liaise with Academic Services and Academic Advising staff to ensure effective academic advising, career counseling, tutorial services, and internship opportunities for students in SBLT programs.
- Oversee program and course assessment procedures in the SBLT.
- Serve on a major faculty committee, as assigned by the VPAA.
- Collaborate with enrollment, admission, and advancement staff, to develop and cultivate community partnerships (e.g., internships, practicums) and to maximize recruitment activities that would benefit the institution and department.
- Liaise with the Registrar’s Office, as required, in matters related to transcript evaluation and recording of student academic progress.
- Attend Faculty Assembly meetings.
- Serve on institutional committees and working groups, and carry out other duties as assigned by the VPAA.
- Professional degree in an appropriate field of business studies is required; terminal degree and/or specialization in accounting (CPA) and finance are strongly desired.
- Significant administrative experience (preferably in higher education) with a strong acumen in marketing and/or organizational leadership.
- Ability to lead in all areas of academic affairs in matters such as student recruitment and retention, integration of faith and learning, and external partnerships.
- Proven track record of people management skills, including the ability to supervise, mentor, and achieve goals; excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills along with good judgment critical to the position; ability to manage budgets essential; understanding of marketing; ability to utilize data in decision-making and planning.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in a Christian congregation and able to identify with and support the Bushnell Theological Context for Community statement.
- Bushnell University employees must have a maturing Christian Faith and live in compliance with the duties and expectations as detailed in the Employee Handbook.
- The position requires a strong commitment to multiculturalism and diversity.
- The position requires working in a non-smoking, drug free environment.
- The employee must adhere to FERPA guidelines and student confidentiality at all times.
- All employees of Bushnell University are “mandatory reporters” under Oregon law. See http://www.oregon.gov/dhs/abuse/pages/mandatory_report.aspx for specific information.
- Ability to utilize Windows-based software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is important as is the ability to use e-mail for the purpose of organizational communications.
- Listening skills and the ability to speak and write clearly are essential to this position. Must possess exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- The employee must have high personal motivation, with great attention to detail and accuracy.
- This person must project a positive, vibrant and professional attitude in assisting people.
- This person must have high ethics of honesty and confidentiality, with a genuine and gracious presence pertaining to the students, faculty, staff and business of the department and the University.
- This position may require lifting up to 25 lbs, as well as bending, stooping, kneeling.
- This position description is subject to change at any time.