Temporary Administrative Assistant, SC Johnson College of Business
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Cornell requires that all faculty and staff members, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status, and provide proof of vaccination if vaccinated, immediately upon hire.Our College:
Leading at the intersection of people, business, and technology, the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business is one of the most comprehensive business schools in the nation and includes many areas of expertise not found in any other leading institution. The college is comprised of the university's three accredited business schools, each of which is recognized as among the best in higher education: the Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, and the School of Hotel Administration. Our academic research; industry and community engagement; and undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs all reflect the future of business: flexible, collaborative, and cross-disciplinary. The college community includes 244 research faculty, 44,000 alumni, and nearly 3,300 undergraduate, professional, and graduate students. The SC Johnson College of Business has an unparalleled resource base from which to draw-within the college, Cornell Tech in New York City, and Cornell University broadly.
The Office of Student Services (OSS) serves as an essential nexus between the College's students and its faculty and staff, overseeing all aspects of the student experience. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion team for the SC Johnson College of Business spearheads key programs and initiatives to foster a climate of inclusion and belonging for all students, faculty, and staff members.
We are seeking a temporary administrative professional that will provide high-level administrative and organizational support to the Associate Dean of Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging and to the Associate Dean of Student Services for the SC Johnson College of Business. This position will have high visibility and sit in the SC Johnson College of Business Dean's front office. The Administrative Assistant will perform duties that require discretion, independent judgment, and decision-making skills. The professional in this position also must be detail-oriented, calm under pressure, able to multi-task and prioritize, and demonstrate sound organizational and communication skills.
Key responsibilities for the Temporary Administrative Assistant include:
- Manage complex meetings, schedules and travel arrangements, ensuring that the Associate Deans' activities and obligations are carried out smoothly. Assist as needed in any correspondence, reports, or events.
- Coordinate complex schedules and travel for the Associate Deans, coordinating and submitting all travel related expense forms as needed and consistent with University policies and procedures.
- Answer telephones and greet visitors to the Dean's Office, assisting or referring as appropriate. Ensure contacts receive attention appropriate to the situation & contribute to an overall smooth operation of the Dean's office.
This position is full time but it is on a temporary basis through the rest of the semester (3-month term). There is a possibility of this position getting extended and/or converted to a regular position.
If interested in applying we highly encourage you to include a cover letter in your application so we can better understand your interest in the position. No visa sponsorship or relocation assistance is available for this position.
- Formal training beyond a HS diploma of 1-2 years, 2 year's college coursework, or Associate's degree.
- Technical/vocational school degree; and/or 4-6 years related experience.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with utmost discretion and integrity.
- Demonstrated record of successfully providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy with a wide-range of internal and external constituents.
- Experience that demonstrates sound judgment, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently while supporting the efforts of an overall team while fostering a respectful work environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work quickly and effectively under pressure, use sound judgment in accomplishing tasks that are urgent; balance conflicting priorities, and make decisions from a wide range of choices.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills. Must be flexible and receptive to new ideas and approaches.
- Accuracy in spelling, grammar, proofreading and attention to detail required.
- Proficient in Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor's degree.
- Knowledge of University programs such as Workday, Kuali, eShop, Web Financials, Canvas, I Want Doc, Outlook Calendar, Zoom, Salesforce & Concur.
- Minimum of 2-3 years' experience in a professional office setting.
- Illustrate a proven track record of successfully providing exceptional customer service.
University Job Title:Temporary Administrative Assistant
Job Family:Temporary Administration
Level:No Grade - Hourly
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Leanna Caloras
Number of Openings:1
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
To learn more about Cornell's non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see Career Navigator. The final rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience.
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position.
Unique applicable skills.
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by "dragging and dropping" them into the dropbox or by using the "upload" icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.2021-08-31-07:00