Assistant Professor (req16957)
Employment Type: Faculty
Health Exercise & Sports Science (353A)
College of Education
Campus: Main - Albuquerque, NM
The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.
The Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program at the University of New Mexico (UNM) invites applications for an Assistant Professor, tenure-track faculty position in the Department of Health, Exercise, and Sports Sciences starting in the fall of the 2022-2023 academic year. This position is open to individuals with expertise in Physical Education from a broad range of areas that have research interests pertaining to education.
UNM is the state's flagship research university as well as a Hispanic-Serving Institution classified a Carnegie Research University with Highest Research Activity. UNM also has strong connections with 23 tribal nations located within New Mexico. As such, successful candidates must be committed to working with broadly diverse student and community populations.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate with be expected to teach a variety of courses in physical education at the undergraduate and graduate level, develop and maintain an active research agenda, advise undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students, conduct appropriate service, supervise teacher candidates, assist in program reports for state accreditation purposes.
UNM is located in Albuquerque - a metropolitan area of more than 500,000 people - between the beautiful Rio Grande River and the picturesque Sandia Mountains. Albuquerque is a unique city with a blend of traditions, people, and cultures. The city has fantastic local cuisine, a variety of art galleries, sporting events, and easy access to a myriad of outdoor recreational opportunities.
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM continuing faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM. UNM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Educator.
Any questions about this position should be directed to Dr. Karen Gaudreault at firstname.lastname@example.org.Qualifications
- An earned doctorate in Physical Education with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction, Sport Pedagogy, or related discipline by contract start date
- Demonstrated ability or established record of scholarship in the field of Physical Education.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success and working with diverse communities
- Expertise in any of the following: culturally responsive curriculum and pedagogy, social emotional learning in physical education, adapted physical education
- Online teaching experience
- Experience supervising teacher candidates in field based settings
- Experience chairing graduate theses and dissertations
- Demonstrated ability or established record of grants and funding to support research
- Previous K-12 teaching experience in Physical Education in U.S. public schools.
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.A complete application packet will include:
- Letter of intent summarizing qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Official or unofficial transcripts
- Teaching statement that includes your perspectives on diversity and inclusion as it relates to teacher preparation
- Contact information for three professional references
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.For Best Consideration
For best consideration, please apply by 11/1/2021. This position will remain open until filled.