Digital Services and Research Librarian
Smithfield, Rhode Island
Position SummaryThe Digital Services and Research Librarian will facilitate and perform a leading role in the library's digital scholarship and digitization initiatives. Working collaboratively across campus, the incumbent will develop, implement, and support library services that focus on current and emerging research, teaching, and innovation at Bryant University. The librarian will assist in implementing strategies for publishing and integrating digital scholarship into the library and Bryant community. The incumbent will collaborate with library staff and university partners to identify and curate digital collections using the University archives. Additionally, the librarian will work with and provide support to the research desk through hours on desk delivering outstanding guidance to library resources for the Bryant community.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits.
Principal AccountabilitiesPrimary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Enhance the creation and dissemination of research and scholarship at Bryant University by monitoring emerging trends and supporting the creation and discovery of open access scholarship and new forms of scholarly digital media and publishing;
2. Collaborate on implementation of digital initiatives for the library by advising and providing training on digital scholarship tools and techniques to Bryant University community members to help them disseminate their research and provide access to their scholarship;
3. Build on existing modes of access for local and external audiences to Bryant's archives, research and scholarship;
4. Curate, promote, solicit, and add materials from students and faculty to the institutional repository;
5. Collaborate with other library staff to develop standards, policies and procedures, and apply metadata schema for digital curation and preservation tasks;
6. Provide timely and effective use of library resources and offer reference support to meet patron needs through in-person and electronic communication (i.e. email, text, instant message).
7. Perform other duties as directed.
QualificationsThis position is best filled by an energetic, innovative, flexible and highly motivated individual with an ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree and a background in and knowledge of digital scholarship services in libraries, including institutional repository experience. Knowledge of reference services and a strong interest in teaching and commitment to student learning is essential. Demonstrated experience working with digital scholarship and digital humanities tools and applications is preferred. The ability to work independently and in a team environment with faculty, students, administrators and library personnel at all levels is critical. Excellent oral and written communication skills, familiarity with library trends and standards, experience with current electronic resources, and comfort with emerging technologies are imperative. Outstanding work ethic, strong commitment to high touch, client-centered services and adaptability/flexibility required.
Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
Working EnvironmentBryant University recognizes that its position as a leader in higher education is greatly determined both by the diversity of its campus community and its intellectual endeavors. Its commitment to link academic and social diversity for the benefit of the learning and living environment reflects its belief that excellence and diversity are mutually reinforcing objectives. We are committed to building an equitable and inclusive campus community, one that values individual difference and fosters greater understanding of the many facets of diversity and other distinctive characteristics that make us different. We encourage applications from candidates with an appreciation for and understanding of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about our ongoing commitment to building a community of inclusive excellence.
Posting Number: STA02171
Work HoursHours: Full-time position; 40 hours per week; Tuesday through Thursday 8:30-4:30, Friday 9:00-5:00, Saturday 9:00 - 5:00
- Hours subject to change during summer and winter break
Open Until Filled: Yes