Coordinator for Mental Health Education and Outreach - Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services
WELLWVU, in partnership with the Carruth Center, within the Division of Student Life at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Coordinator for Mental Health Education and Outreach, focusing on emotional and mental wellness. Reporting to the Director of WELLWVU (with a secondary reporting line to Carruth), this position will work with a multidisciplinary team in WELLWVU and Carruth and the broader University to develop, implement, and evaluate evidence-based health promotion approaches in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
The Coordinator for Mental Health Education and Outreach will be responsible for the development, administration, implementation, and evaluation of theory and evidence-based practices that support emotional and mental wellness for students at West Virginia University. The Senior Health Educator will work closely with the Carruth Center for Psychological and Psychiatric Services to provide education and outreach in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the Director and the Carruth Center to help develop strategic plans for health promotion that support the mission and values of West Virginia University in the area of emotional and mental wellness
- Work in tandem with the Carruth Center to examine and address campus health issues in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
- Conduct environmental assessments of campus health needs and resources in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
- Develop measurable goals and objectives for health promotion initiatives in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
- Implement evidence-based and theory-grounded health promotion initiatives and programs in the area of emotional and mental wellness.
- Serve as a direct liaison with the Carruth Center on behalf of WELLWVU
- Coordinates, evaluates, and responds to all Carruth outreach programming requests.
- Supervise all Carruth Center outreach programming, including soliciting staff members to implement requests, collect and summarize all programming outcome data, fostering collaboration with campus partners.
- Co-facilitate monthly outreach committee meeting at Carruth and attend approximately one Carruth Center staff meeting per month.
- Assists with updating Carruth Center web page.
- Develop and provide training and consultation in outreach and related public health theory, program development, and implementation for graduate level trainees and predoctoral interns.
- Supervise and evaluate Carruth trainee and intern outreach projects and the completion of their outreach requirements and specialization performance domains.
- Assist in Carruth Center outreaches including, but not limited to, Mental Health First Aid training, Let's Talk, and wellness workshops.
- Supervise the creation, distribution, and purchase of outreach promotional materials.
- Demonstrate inclusivity and cultural competence.
- Assist in professional staff and student trainings regarding outreach and emotional and mental wellness.
- Master's Degree in public health, health promotion, education, mental health, or a similar field.
- Three (3) years of experience in health education, public health, or health promotion.
- Strong knowledge of emotional and mental wellness issues including but not limited to stress management, resilience, suicide awareness, and bystander intervention.
- Demonstrated understanding of behavior change theories and the Socio-Ecological Model.
- Ability to develop and administer programs and services.
- Familiarity with common assessment and evaluation practices.
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly.
- Strong organizational skills.
- CHES, MCHES, and/or CPH.
- Experience working in the setting of higher education.
- Knowledge of Motivational Interviewing.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of Interest.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Aug 30, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes