Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, SALARIED
Lake Erie College, a small, co-educational, four-year, independent liberal arts college located in Painesville, OH, 30 miles east of Cleveland, invites applications for the full-time position of assistant director of athletics for compliance. Lake Erie College is an NCAA Division II program that competes in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC).
The assistant director of athletics for compliance is responsible for, but not limited to, the day-to-day duties of overseeing the compliance office and athletics academic services. This position is a member of the athletics senior leadership team. The director serves as a liaison between several College departments, including Admission, Financial Aid and Registrar.
- Serves as the sole compliance officer to a department with 19 sport programs and nearly 450 student-athletes.
- Understands NCAA, conference and College regulations and remains current on all legislative proposals regarding athletics.
- Implements policies and procedures to comply with NCAA legislation.
- Oversees eligibility and is the primary contact for the NCAA Initial Eligibility Center.
- Designs, implements and conducts rules education for coaches, staff, student-athletes and representatives of athletics interest.
- Provides legislative updates and issues rules interpretations, as requested.
- Leads investigation and reporting of rules violations.
- Prepares and submits appeals and waivers, including medical hardship and eligibility requests.
- Compiles and maintains NCAA squad list and eligibility certification lists for all teams.
- Tracks financial aid and administers National Letters of Intent.
- Monitors playing and practice seasons and countable athletically-related activities.
- Monitors and approves camps, clinics and fundraising activity.
- Certifies academic credentials and other requirements for official and unofficial visits.
- Approves all recruiting-related travel, including contacts and evaluations.
- Facilitates annual meeting with director of financial aid to review exempt and non-exempt aid.
- Administers NCAA Student-Athlete Statement and Drug Testing Consent forms.
- Serves as the primary academic administrator for the department of athletics and monitors all student-athlete academic performance and progress toward degree.
- Serves as a key member of the department regarding management and operations.
- Assists with game operations for all home athletics contests, compiles complimentary admissions lists and may serve as primary game administrator.
- Acts as a visible person to represent the College in a positive manner and to heighten the awareness of the institution to all of its constituents.
- Other duties as assigned by the director of athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree in sports management, physical education or related field required; juris doctorate or master’s degree preferred.
- At least two years working in multiple NCAA compliance areas preferred.
- Experience with Compliance Assistant, LSDBi and RSRO.
- Ability to protect confidential information and present a professional demeanor.
- Knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, rules and regulations of athletic associations and conferences.
- Knowledge and skill in using integrated software systems and Microsoft applications.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively across departments and with a diverse body of student-athletes, coaches, administrators and staff.
- Strong organizational skills; must be able to handle multiple, competing tasks and prioritize well.
- Team-oriented individual with willingness to take initiative and be flexible with the ability to work under occasional pressure.
Qualified applicants will have the availability to work evenings, holidays and weekends.
Follows all institutional and NCAA regulations regarding recruiting and operations of designated sport in particular and athletics in general.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references either (1) via email to email@example.com, (2) online at www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/ or (3) to Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Learn more at https://www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec/ and http://www.lakeeriestorm.com. EOE
As one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Ohio’s Western Reserve, Lake Erie College is proud of its long heritage. From its start as a female seminary, in the Mount Holyoke style, to the coeducational institution it is today, the College has been a leader in higher education for over 160 years. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees, the College fosters an environment of engagement, empowerment and self-evaluation in a diverse world, for both students and employees. We offer a rich menu of employee benefits in retirement, health, education and more, affirming the value we place in our employees.
Lake Erie College provides an excellent, inclusive, and highly personalized education grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Guided by hope and care, our students are empowered to lead lives of personal significance and professional success as global citizens.