Under the general direction of the Assistant Provost and working closely with Undergraduate Academic Affairs, the Data Analyst will support data-informed initiatives to enhance student success at Virginia Tech by developing and improving data-driven analyses and analytic reporting. The incumbent will work primarily with student data (historical and current) to support university functions, reporting, and strategic projects. The incumbent will also assist in the design, development, and maintenance of dashboards, data visualizations, and automated reports for commonly requested and widely used student data. The incumbent will need a strong consultative skillset and be able to develop professional relationships with other campus units in order to understand processes and needs, and use this knowledge to identify opportunities for collaboration and project development.
- Master's degree in a quantitative discipline, such as Data Analytics, Statistics, Information Systems, or a related area.
- Experience in data analytics and decision support in higher education setting, with specific knowledge of student related data, reporting processes, and data management.
- Proficiency in data management, statistical analysis/modeling, analytic reporting, and data visualization.
- General knowledge of dashboard design, development, and maintenance.
- Ability to work with data and people from multiple sources/departments
- Experience with SAS Viya/Visual Analytics/Visual Statistics or similar tool.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data-informed student success initiatives.
- Previous experience in working with instructional faculty and student support professionals to foster data-informed decision making and programming.
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrier at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.