Executive Administrative Assistant
The Executive Assistant provides specialized and complex administrative support to the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Enterprise Administrative Operations including coordinating and scheduling meetings, managing the AVP/COO's calendar, assisting in preparation of reports and correspondence, managing special projects, and facilitating effective interaction within and outside the university. The AVP relies on the Executive Assistant to set up effective and efficient processes to allow the AVP to focus time and effort strategically to achieve key SVPCBO Enterprise goals. He/she provides critical support through research, analysis, writing, information coordination, relationship management, and project management. He/she will have the role of communicating regularly with university leadership. The Executive Assistant will work on projects from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities including confidential and sensitive matters with the utmost discretion. The Executive Assistant is responsible for independently managing key projects. The ideal candidate must be professional, organized, flexible, self-directed, have strong interpersonal skills, and be an effective communicator. The Executive Assistant will also serve as primary back-up to the Office of the Senior Vice President and Chief Business Office and will work closely with the SVPCBO Executive Assistant. A telework option is not anticipated for this position.
* Coordinate the activities of the AVP including management of complex calendars, travel arrangements, and associated logistics.
* Develop an in-depth understanding of the AVP's priorities, needs, and role within the SVPCBO Enterprise and university to appropriately commit time to those requesting access to the AVP.
* Develop, review, edit, and draft presentations and documentation in collaboration with the AVP and executive leadership team (ELT); independently research and analyze associated issues and/or compile materials needed for presentation and/or decision-making purposes.
* Compose correspondence as necessary and ensure usage of proper branding.
* Independently update spreadsheets. Independently prioritize, plan, coordinate and/or oversee logistics for meetings and conferences with individuals and entities internal and external to the university.
* Anticipate leadership needs, proactively solve problems, and/or independently handle issues as necessary while interacting with the ELT.
* Serve as the primary liaison to various internal and external constituencies on behalf of the AVP including screening correspondence and telephone calls, prioritizing and keeping the AVP informed of all matters requiring attention.
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality and interact with appropriateness to all levels of the organization.
* Other special projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Communications, or related field or equivalent level of training and or experience.
* Demonstrated high-level administrative experience supporting executive level individuals within a fast-paced, self-directed, and demanding environment.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Ability to maintain strict accuracy and be hyper-sensitive to details.
* Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
* Proven ability to cultivate positive working relationships and gain the trust and respect of all levels of internal and external constituencies.
* Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy, and tact.
* Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadlines.
* Advanced computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
* Proven experience working with Sharepoint or a similar document sharing system.
- Experience in higher education providing administrative support for an executive or senior management.
- Prior experience at Virginia Tech or other higher education environment.
* Demonstrated proficiency with Banner, HokieMart, and/or other related accounting systems.
* Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining policy and procedure documentation.
* Familiarity with project management tools.
* Prior experience working in a team-oriented environment
* Proven editing and journalistic skills
Communsurate with Experience
October 1, 2021
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Steve Filipiak) at (email@example.com) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.