Research Financial Manager - VTTI
Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) has an annual financial portfolio of over $50 million. This position will have a broad responsibility for performing analysis, reporting, and interpretation related to VTTI's funding. Insuring compliance with both university and award agency policies. Serve as liaison between the VTTI research teams, the university's Office of Sponsored Programs, the Purchasing Office, the Controller's Office, Risk Management, and other internal departments and external groups as needed while fostering teamwork and collaboration. The ability to exercise judgment, facilitate problem resolution, and prioritize effectively. As a vital member of the VTTI finance team, the Research Financial Manager will report to the VTTI Finance Operation Manager.
Based on federal award guidelines/restrictions and/or University/State guidelines, this position is responsible for approving labor coding, purchase orders, travel, and other transactions charging to VTTI's funding sources. Approves Graduate Research Assistantships, Student and Emergency Wage hire appointments within VTTI. Provide budget projections in planning for project closeouts. Provides ad hoc financial reporting internally and externally. Creates and monitors various data tracking or submissions to VTTI Fiscal group via Sharepoint or similar systems. The VTTI Research Financial Manager will provide leadership and training to VTTI's faculty and staff on how to interpret various financial guidelines and policies. Provide guidance and training on how to utilize various VT financial tools such as MicroStrategy and the VT Award Management System, utilizing such system to create and provide ad hoc reports. Tracking and managing of complex cost-share (match) reporting and certification needs. Able to work independently or with little supervision, with self-awareness in meeting deadlines.
- A Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree, or a combination of Bachelor of Science in business, finance, or accounting, and experience within those areas reflective of a MBA degree.
- Demonstrated comprehensive financial experience.
- Demonstrated experience with complex financial systems of which able to abstract financial data to create ad hoc reporting.
- Excellent problem solving and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Experience handling time-sensitive and confidential records.
- Ability to multitask, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadline.
- Ability to train others.
- Able to multitask and work independently to prioritize assignments in a high volume, team environment.
University financial experience.
- Experience managing multiple funding sources (e.g. State funding, Foundation funding, Grant funding).
- Demonstrated practical experience in interpretation and application of policies and procedures including institutional policies and procedures and/or contractual terms and conditions.
- Demonstrated experience and/or working knowledge of some federal and nonfederal regulations and guidelines.
- Experience with SharePoint computer services or similar services.
- Experience with enterprise financial systems such as Banner, Summit, MicroStrategy, or similar systems.
- Advance certification (e.g. CPA, CRA, CMA)
- Valid Driver's license preferred
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.