Professional Development Associate
Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity (BranchED)
More than half of American public-school students are children of color, and only18% of their teachers are from these same racial and ethnic groups. The Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity (BranchED) was founded in 2017 to support Minority Serving Institutions (HBCUs, HSIs, tribal colleges, and others) to maximize programming and drive innovation in preparing highly-effective educators who reflect and champion the diversity of our nation's school children. These 253Minority Serving Institutions comprise 13% of education providers in the United States, but prepare 51% of all Hispanic students earning bachelor's degrees in education, 51% of Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander teacher candidates, 38% of African American teacher candidates, and 35% of bachelor's degrees in education for Native Americans and Asian Americans.
BranchED is the first and only non-profit organization in the nation that is dedicated o strengthening and growing educator preparation at MSIs, with the larger goals of both diversifying the teaching profession and intentionally addressing critical issues of educational equity for all students. BranchED has three goals that guide its work:
- Empower: working together to strengthen and grow MSI educator preparation programs by providing capacity building support that enhances MSI capabilities.
- Connect: strengthening relationships among MSIs by building partnerships to spur collaboration and innovation.
- Advance: amplifying a collective voice and advocating for shared interests by promoting awareness of educator diversity and championing MSIs.
The Professional Development Associate (PDA) will support the mission of the BIRCH Professional Learning Center in the design and facilitation of innovative events on mathematics, inclusive instruction, and other topics that align with BranchED's quality framework. In collaboration with BranchED internal and external team members, the PDA will design and facilitate virtual and F-2-Fevents tailored to the assets of higher education faculty and administrators in Educator Preparation Programs (EPP) and their PK-12 partners.
Learning Experience and Event Design
- Collaboratively and independently designs and facilitates virtual and F-2-F learning experiences for PK-12 and higher education faculty and leadership.
- Stays abreast of innovative andragogical and pedagogical practices and research methods.
- Utilizes knowledge of adult learning styles, instructional design, group dynamics, interactive learning methods, and quality improvement processes to enhance program portfolio August 2021.
- Develops criteria for evaluating effectiveness of professional development and regularly monitors and reports results to management, along with recommendations for improvement as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality of client, participant, and institutional information.
Professional Development Facilitation
- Utilizes learner-centered, engaging, and interactive facilitation approaches.
- Works with BranchED team members to support development and delivery of small and large group professional development and corresponding resources to a range of audiences using a variety of instructional approaches and delivery methodologies.
- Integrates assessment tools as appropriate into learning and development offerings.
- Works with the Project Manager and other team members to manage program logistics including meeting space, equipment, supplies, etc. of assigned courses.
- Partners with team members and other stakeholders to ensure program alignment and cross-functional awareness.
- Helps cultivate an intentional organizational culture representing organizational values.
- Contributes to a high-performing and mission-driven team necessary to support excellent programming.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Master's degree required in education or relevant field.
- Content expertise in mathematics.
- At least 5 years of work experience in teaching, teacher preparation, or faculty development in a teacher education department, or a combination of these.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of and experience applying adult learning concepts.
- Knowledge of innovative instructional practices and educational research methods, including SOTL.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience working with Microsoft and Google Suites and Zoom.
- Passion and commitment to transforming teacher preparation programs inMinority Serving Institutions.
- Committed to equity and diversity.
- Initiative with the ability to anticipate needs and future opportunities.
- Creative problem-solver with ability to identify and address issues proactively.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to cultivate respectful, strategic, and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
- A positive attitude, high degree of flexibility, curiosity to learn, creativity, dedication, resourcefulness, and energy.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- This is a full-time exempt position. BranchED provides benefits for eligible employees.
- Competitive salaries benchmarked against the industry. Compensation will be commensurate with relative work experience and education.
- Medical insurance with up to 100% employer contribution.
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans, and 401 (K)retirement plan with an Employer Match up to 6% of your compensation.
- Generous time off including 15 days of paid time off (to be taken for sickness or vacation) and 18 holidays (12 organization-wide holidays, 1-week December closure).
- Organization-wide and workgroup training, plus a $200 professional development stipend for external training.
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic selfcare/community care.
- Ample opportunities to connect with the faculty/leaders, students and communities we serve.
Reports To: Senior Vice President
Location: Flexible with 30% travel
Setting: This position operates in a general office setting. Occasional travel is expected.
Please email resume or CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your the email subject line the position for which you are applying. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.