Infrastructure Engineer III
Location: New Orleans, LA
The Infrastructure Engineer III is a skilled technologist with a deep understanding of software development and systems administration processes. An ideal candidate is an individual who is either a strong developer who is interested in operations, or strong operations engineer who is interested in software development. Good team skills are essential to this role, as there is a great deal of day-to-day collaboration that takes place as we build and deliver solutions.
The Infrastructure Engineer III will work closely with other Systems Administrators, Developers, Networking team, and IT Security to create a robust environment to support the University's strategic goals, the needs of the faculty and staff, and an operational excellence mindset. In this role, the incumbent will lead the organization by implementing automated solutions using best practices that enable Tulane's mission, improve operational effectiveness, and service quality in the short-term by building technology that will last for the long-term. The incumbent is expected to function as a Team Lead and support for more junior staff.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Lead the installation, maintenance, upgrading, and configuration of IT infrastructure and other IT-related projects as determined by business need across a multi-site environment
- Identify and solve complex systemic issues spanning multiple systems and teams. This may include designing systems or services from ground up
- Partner with internal service owners and teams to evaluate technical data, create recommendations, obtain consensus, plan and execute service upgrades and changes
- Maintain appropriate documentation, including drawings, configurations, settings, and recovery plans
- Work directly with the leadership to define a long-term infrastructure support strategy focused on cost optimization and end-user needs
- Provide Windows, Linux operating system administration, including logging solutions, OS building/configuration and script writing.
- Monitoring and maintaining network servers such as file servers, VPN gateways and intrusion detection systems
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to troubleshoot and resolve application issues across complex enterprise and local environments
- Influence and enforce IT related security policies and controls by following defined procedures and standards
- Research and evaluate current and emerging technologies and stay informed of new technologies and solutions that increase productivity, innovation, and business capabilities
- Provide administration of backup/recovery processes and procedures
- Participating in a cross-platform Site Reliability team to build and maintain tools, solutions and microservices associated with deployment and our operations platform, ensuring that all meet our customer service standards and reduce errors
- Test our system integrity, implemented designs, application developments and other processes related to software defined infrastructure, making improvements as needed
- Deploy product updates and patches as required while implementing integrations when they arise
- Experience with version control (Git, SVN)
- Knowledge of Infrastructure as Code tools (Terraform, Ansible)
- Ability to talk to both customers and other IT professionals and adapt to their technical knowledge.
- Availability to work occasional nights, evenings, and weekends as assigned.
- Availability and ability to provide 24/7 on call support, as scheduled.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior engineers and work with remote teams
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead development of best practices and creation of standard operating procedures.
- Deep understanding of Virtualization technologies on VMWare hypervisor
- Knowledge and experience supporting NAS/SAN Storage arrays
- Well versed in Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery methodologies and implementations
- Bachelor's Degree in applicable discipline AND
- Coding Boot camp graduate AND
- Minimum 5+ years' experience in systems administration and advanced IT technologies with a strong focus in systems deployment, understanding of storage systems and network topology, scripting, container integration and administration & system monitoring
- Minimum 5+ years hands on experience and experience with, but not limited to the following technologies: internal and external cloud environments, support for agile application processes, Linux Administration and Windows administration, virtualization, configuration management, LDAP and/or Active Directory Administration, Security best practices.
- Experience with Container Orchestration Services
- Familiarity with HPC Cluster Administration and CI/CD tools (Azure DevOps)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (AWS CloudFormation or Azure Resource Manager)
- Knowledge of MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, and non-SQL data stores
- Experience with monitoring tools (IRIS, NetScout, Grafana, SolarWinds Orion)
- Working knowledge of core Internet protocols and services (e.g., IP, TCP, UDP, NTP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP, SSH, syslog) required
- Ability to troubleshoot Windows Server and Linux operation systems
- Proficient with installation, configuration and managing VMware Environments - deployment automation
- Excellent written, verbal, and collaboration skills with the ability to instruct others on the team
- Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as reports and procedure manuals
- Willingness to cross train into other areas for overlapping support to meet the business need
- Proven ability to think out of the box and have a holistic approach to supporting the University faculty, staff, and student populations.
This position is assigned to pay grade P4.27PREM. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that
you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane
as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our
Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
How to Apply:
Click "Apply Now" to apply for this job.
This position will close onthe date it is filled
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.