Figure Skating Director
Job Number: REQ_0000016708
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics, a Division I and Big Ten Conference Institution, is seeking a Figure Skating Director for the Pegula Ice Arena. Pegula Ice Arena, located on the University Park campus of Penn State University, features two ice surfaces: a 6,014 seat arena, home to Penn State's varsity hockey programs, and a 300-seat community rink. The Centre County community can take advantage of the facility, which is open approximately 350 days per year for public use. The Figure Skating Director will operate, administer, coordinate and evaluate the arena's community youth, adult and competitive figure skating programs through the day-to-day operations of the Skating School, as well as private lessons, freestyles, competitions, clinics, camps, ice shows and off-ice programs. The Figure Skating Director monitors the logistics of these programs by performing personally or in collaboration with Operations and professional staff members the following essential duties and responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Learn to Skate Program Director responsible for implementation, administration, promotion, marketing, and programming of all phases of the USFS Learn to Skate group lesson program for the general public. Includes scheduling of classes, instructors, assistants, and setting up class rosters. Responsible for overseeing registration, enrollment, placement, testing, and test registration and addressing guest's questions and concerns, as well as on ice instruction if necessary
- Oversee Private Lesson and Competitive Instructional Program by managing referrals and serving as liaison between guest and professional staff whenever necessary, including arranging lessons between guest and professional staff. Figure Skating Director will also be expected to provide private lesson instruction to guests
- Interview, hire, train, supervise, provide yearly evaluations and daily support to the Arena's 20+ professional staff, who provide both group and private instruction for the Arena's programs and guests. Promote a culture of professionalism, accountability, collaboration and respect while supporting skaters in their development and success
- Produce and direct all areas of annual ice show. This includes the administrative aspects of securing endorsements, appearance of guest featured skaters, scheduling practice sessions and rehearsals, overseeing cast enrollment. Responsible for selecting show theme, musical selections for group and solo numbers, directing costume and prop committees, group and solo choreography, lighting design. Coordinate marketing and promotion of show, ticket sales and show program development with Arena marketing staff
- Develop, instruct and oversee clinics, events, seminars, courses, and training sessions throughout the year for the Arena. These events include coordinating birthday parties and serving as the Director of the Abby Yeagley Memorial Skating competition
- Responsible for implementation, administration, promotion, marketing, and programming of Penn State Figure Skating Camps. Schedule camps, coaches, and assistants. Oversee registration, enrollment, and operations. Provide training and supervision of coaches, serve as the liaison between Camp Office and Arena
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with Arena marketing manager, a marketing and promotions strategy for the program. This would include creating and providing content for our social media sites, production of a monthly figure skating newsletter and creation of program marketing materials
- Management and oversite of the Arena's figure skating budget
- Provide building support as necessary as manager on duty
- Liaison to the Collegiate and Community figure skating Clubs and programs
Applicants must be willing to work weekdays, weekends, evenings and holidays. The hours generally follow the skating school schedule plus additional time for private lesson instruction and facility programming, support and events.
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus two years of related experience. A combination of private lesson coaching, experience as a learn to skate instructor, experience with preparing skaters for competitions, shows, and tests, as well as a familiarity with IJS standards. Gold Medal in Moves in the Field as well as Freestyle and/or Dance and/or Pairs are strongly preferred. A strong skating background is essential. Full USFS Coach Compliance (Including: USFS Membership, USFS Background check, SafeSport Training, Code of Ethics, CERs, Liability Insurance, PSA Membership), as well as Learn to Skate compliance are required.
This position requires the following clearances in addition to applicable background checks: PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.