Financial Aid Professional I
Posting Number: req6190
Department: Student Financial Aid
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid is currently looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and organized individual to provide outstanding customer service to our students and families in the role of Financial Aid Specialist.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides year-round front-line support to assist students who contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) in-person or via phone, email or chat.
- Answers questions, inquiries or requests of students, parents, lenders, guarantee agencies or staff in person, in writing or by telephone regarding financial aid eligibility and awards.
- Collects and/or reviews financial aid applications to determine completeness and eligibility for financial aid.
- Verifies accuracy of documents and consistency of data from need analysis processor, federal tax returns, financial aid transcripts verification document, and student information; performs data analysis to identify discrepancies in data and determines action for resolution.
- Requests additional information for incomplete or inconsistent applications to perform accurate needs analysis.
- Processes applications according to federal guidelines or regulations; denies aid if ineligible; performs needs analysis calculations according to guidelines and determines eligibility and appropriate award donors, adjustment, changes and/or corrections.
- Participates in the audit of student records and record retention requirements.
- Assists in development and implementation of office procedures.
- Willingness to expand financial aid knowledge and training and ability to take on projects that support OSFA's efforts to provide financial aid to students.
- Assists with training and on-boarding of new temporary staff and student staff each financial aid season.
- Presents general financial aid information at various outreach events including both on and off-campus financial aid/admissions events.
Attends and participates in all meetings assigned and training opportunities provided.
- Prepares reports for specific financial aid programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience providing customer service in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Skill in presenting information to groups of 25 or more.
- Knowledge of automated processing.
- Knowledge of government rules, regulations, guidelines and procedures related to financial aid.
- Knowledge of supervisory techniques.
- Skill in entering data accurately.
- Skill in making simple calculations.
- Ability to work with highly sensitive and protected data.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required.
- Up to 1 year of relevant work experience
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 20
Job FTE: .50
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Student Services
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: 16.69
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.